1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dll files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TamiHunter, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Thread Starter

It seems that I am missing these files: iecont.dll and iecontlc.dll
    Are they necessary and if so, can someone explain to me how to fix this in simple terms that I can understand because I have no computer literacy at all or is there a site I can go to to get these files? Also, what do these files do?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Can you be more detailed and specific as to what problem(s) you're having and how those DLL files wound up missing?

Have you been using any registry/file "cleaners"?

----------------------------------------------------------

3. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Thread Starter

Yes. I did use a registry cleaner. I take it that's a bad thing? If so, I won't make that mistake twice. The thing is, I don't think it's causing me any problems. Then again, being a computer idiot, I can't honestly say. I DO have a problem with something causing an "error". And the error is with a file or driver and the name of the error is avgtpx86.sys. Can you tell me what THAT is?? I did a system restore and ended up with the blue screen of death. Dear God. I should never be allowed to breath on a computer let alone touch one! :(

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Registry/file "cleaners" will damage Windows and break programs and generate error/warning messages and wreak havoc with a computer. If the damage done is severe enough, reinstalling Windows and getting a fresh start is the only viable option.

avgtpx86.sys is possibly associated with the AVG antivirus program. I have no idea what the other DLL files you mentioned are associated with.

Using System Restore doesn't always work and can actually make things worse.

You need some "hands on" help by a computer-knowledgeable person.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    From what i found the other 2 dll files are supposed to be part of the windows 2000 operating system and not xp.im going to guess they might have something to do with internet explorer. but since a registry cleaner was used as was advised a complete reinstall is your only option so you can start all over again.as far as a good antivirus program a lot of us recommend microsoft security essentials its free and easy to use.just have someone show you how to do things with a computer until you get the hang of it.you just learn by watching and doing like a lot of us did.

6. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

You can run the following command to repair system files in your windows operating system:

sfc /scannow

You will need to put that into an administer advanced command windows. Once the command starts, it may ask you for the windows xp cd that came with your computer. If it does, then you have files that are damaged and you should let the process run if you have a disc. I hope this helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice