1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DNS - Can't join PC to domain.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by campain, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. campain

campain Thread Starter

I have a domain controller that I've just set up. As far as I can tell everything is working ok, but I don't seem to be able to join my machine to the domain. When I try, I get the following error:

[​IMG]

I have my DC is running DNS with a forward lookup for my router. In TCP/IP settings, should my DC/DNS server AND my client point to my DNS server (localhost in the case of the server) or to the router, or does it not matter?

Here are some details, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Server OS: Windows server standard 2008
    Client OS: Windows 7 Ultimate

Client - ipconfig /all
    Server - ipconfig /all

Client - nslookup

Server - nslookup

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You PC is pulling its IP address and DNS server settings from your router. AFAIK you should have the pc setup to pull from the DC. But I haven't setup a Domain since 2000 server. I was a Netware guy for many years so I could be wrong.

3. campain

campain Thread Starter

Solved. Thanks for your help :D.

I had my client dynamically getting the Primary DNS from my router. I changed it to statically point to my DC.

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Firstly, your IP info on the server needs to be set statically. Disable DHCP on your router, and if you have not done so already, set up DHCP on your server to issue IP info to client PC's. The local IP address and DNS address on the server should be the same. The default Gateway on your server would be your router (192.168.1.1).

After this is done, release/renew your IP on the client PC, and then do an ipconfig /all to make sure it is pulling the correct information from the server. Your DNS info on the client should be the IP address of your server.Then try joining the client to the domain again.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice