1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DNS Errors, Socket Errors. Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mikeb220, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mikeb220

Mikeb220 Thread Starter

Last night I had my PC (XP Home) running just fine until I turned on my laptop (XP Pro) and it made my PC reboot. This isn't the first time that it has rebooted when my laptop turns on. I think it started doing this when I networked my computers.
    When the PC rebooted, it started popping up a bunch of firewall messages asking me if I wanted to unblock programs from connecting to the internet. All the programs were ones that have always been allowed. The firewall must have reset somehow.
    My anti-virus program told me that it couldn't connect to the internet (which has also happened a few times before)
    When I opened Internet Explorer it went to the "The page cannot be displayed" page.
    in the address bar it had "res://shdococlc.dll/DNSERROR.HTM#http://www.google.com/

I cannot connect to any websites unless I use their IP address.
    I have no trouble connecting to the router, and none of the settings have changed there.
    My other computers have no trouble connecting to the internet through the router either.
    The network shares on both computers still work.

I have tried running the "Network Diagnostics for Windows XP" and it told me I had a problem with the Winsock provider catalog, and I let it reset the catalog to the default configuration. It didn't help the problem any.

I tried using WinSock Fix and it didn't help any either.
    I also tried using System Restore to see if what ever was changed could be reversed.
    After that I was able to open up Internet Explorer and it would go to Google without a problem, but no other programs would be able to connect to the internet.

Outlook Express pops up with an error message saying "The host could not be found" and "Protocol: POP3, Port 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CC0D"

From Command Prompt I have tried releasing the IP and renewing it and also flushing the DNS and re-registering it.

I have tried changing the TCP/IP properties to use the DNS server that my router lists for WAN and I have also tried using 192.168.0.1 but it still doesn't change anything.

Does anybody know what is causing the problem, or how I might go about fixing it?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Do this....

Start>run>cmd press enter

then type

ipconfig/all press enter

right click the block screen and select all, then copy it all here.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

4. Mikeb220

Mikeb220 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, but I figured out what was causing the problem.
    I am using Telus anti-virus, and it has been giving me alot of problems. I tried messing around with some of the settings and it seems to let me use the internet and everything now.
    I am going to contact Telus to figure out what the problem is with their anti-virus software.

Thank you for trying to help.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

6. Mikeb220

Mikeb220 Thread Starter

Ok, thanks alot, I'm still trying to figure everything out.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!