1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DNS not working on wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Loramir, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Loramir

Loramir Thread Starter

I have suddenly started having trouble with my wireless network. When I connect to my usual wireless network I get only local access. When I run Vista's network diagnostics, it tells me there may be a problem with my DNS configuration. I have tried two different routers and had the same problem with both. I had come to the conclusion it was an issue with my computer, but my roommate has the same issue. If I connect my computer directly to the modem, I do have internet access.

This started fairly abruptly on Friday, although for a few weeks I have been having a (possibly separate) issue wherein my computer would disconnect from the wireless network and then refuse to reconnect. It would claim it received no response from the router (Windows would suggest that low signal strength was the issue, though in the list of networks available it would show full strength).

My computer:
    HP Pavilion dv6000
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32-bit)
    Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

Networking:
    Modem - Motorola SB5120 Cable Modem, Time Warner Cable
    Router - Linksys WRV54G Wireless-G Router
    Other router - Belkin Wireless-G Router (Model #F5D7230-4)

I normally use the Linksys router but switched to the Belkin assuming that the problem was with the Linksys router, only to have the same issue with the Belkin.

When I connect to my wireless network through either router, I get excellent signal strength but local access only. If I connect my computer to one of the LAN ports on the router, I also get only local access. If I connect my computer directly to the modem, I have internet access. When connected to the wireless networks, if I run Windows' network diagnostics, it suggests that something is wrong with my DNS configuration. I normally use OpenDNS (set via the TCP/IPv4 properties dialog, not the router settings) but I received the same results after setting the DNS settings back to "Obtain DNS server address automatically."

I thought it was my computer having the issue, but I no longer think so because (a) my roommate has the same issue and (b) I visited my parents' house over the weekend and had no trouble connecting to their wireless network. My best guess now is that it's something to do with the modem communicating with the router.

Things I've tried:
    -Rebooting computer, power cycling routers and modem
    -Flushing DNS
    -Updating router firmware
    -Restored both routers to factory defaults
    -TCP/IP stack repair options suggested here

The problem is still persisting, and besides the annoyance of having to sit next to the modem to keep a wired connection, there are two of us who need to connect, so we need our wireless!

I've searched the forums and found other people with DNS issues, though none seemed identical to mine, and most were asked to run ipconfig /all and some pings, so I've done that already.

Here is the ipconfig /all results when connected to the wireless network through the Belkin router.

If it makes any difference for comparison purposes, here's ipconfig and ping results when connected directly to the modem:

The router settings page (for the Belkin router) at 192.168.2.1 reads "Internet Status: No Connection" and under "Internet Settings" it shows only a WAN MAC address and "Connection type: Dynamic" with the areas for subnet mask, WAN IP, default gateway, and DNS address left blank.

Hopefully someone will have some suggestions!
    Thanks!
    Lora

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Short answer to long post first - have you tried resetting the router by powering it down for ten minutes and poking in the reset button?

3. Loramir

Loramir Thread Starter

Yeah, I did that with both routers that I tried.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you try cloning the MAC address of your working computer into the router? Are you SURE you did a true factory reset?

The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

Note that the wireless encryption and channel selection will have to be done after the basic wired connection is established, the first step is to get wired connections working.

• Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.
    • Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
    Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

5. Loramir

Loramir Thread Starter

Well, I assumed I had done a true reset, since my router had an old network configuration on it that I didn't know the key for, so I reset it and it cleared that out, but I still had no internet access. However, I've done it again and things seem to be working.

I'll go check on my roommate's computer, but things seem to be working again.

Thanks!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice