1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: DNS problem + DSL problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Steforitos, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steforitos

Steforitos Thread Starter

Okay, here's the story..
    Last night I was working on a project for school and I had put paper over my laptop screen to trace an image. In the middle of doing that a window pops up. I couldn't read it because of the paper covering the screen and I assumed it was just an update message for one of my smaller programs, so I just clicked ESC without reading the message. That's when the problem started.
    When I had finished tracing I tried to go online but I kept getting an error message saying:
    The server at www.google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the web service that translates a website's name to its internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network. (ect) And then at the end - Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): Unable to resolve the server's DNS address

I then tried accessing the internet on my phone but it couldn't connect either. I looked at my router (Zyxel) and noticed that the DSL light was out. I turned it on an off, played around with the wires, made sure all were connected, reset the router but nothing has worked. I looked at it this morning and the WLAN light is also out so I only have 2 green lights on it now.

I think I may have found the problem but I'm not 100% sure on how to fix it. I'm writing this on another laptop with my laptop next to it and I'm comparing the ipconfig /all information and I notice that my DNS servers are in a mess.
    Here is the info..

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Stefan>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Stefan-TOSH
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Ada
    pter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E0-CA-94-76-2A-2A
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f19f:c24b:100f:d356%14(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.211.86(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 467716756
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-2C-C6-1E-04-7D-7B-02-19-DF

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 212.30.200.199
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet C
    ontroller (NDIS 6.20)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 04-7D-7B-02-19-DF
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter VirtualBox Host-Only Network:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-00-80-C0
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::157d:b5f9:4430:cec7%19(Preferred)
    Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.206.199(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 503840807
    DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-2C-C6-1E-04-7D-7B-02-19-DF

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
    fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{6BC32B4C-0F34-46B9-A8A9-8992C2B3B2D2}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.{2BAF5CB2-A3DE-4A23-A33B-C1F768859734}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter isatap.{0817A9D1-D551-4D95-B0F4-F4BEDEE453FF}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

I'm pretty sure the DNS servers are not supposed to be fec0:0:0:ffff::.
    Could there be a link to this and the DSL going out? I can't access the Internet at all at home now and I have a tech guy from the phone company coming over on Friday if I haven't solved this before then but I'd rather save myself the money and just fix this on my own. I'm using Windows 7 by the way.

Thanks in advance :)

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds more like a router issue
    if the DSL light is not on

the WLAN light is the wireless light - so if thats out - then wireless is not being broadcast by the router

BUT this statement - seems to conflict with the lights on the router
    unless you are connected to a neighbours network

you also have a fixed IP on the wireless connection - so thats the reason for the issues as well, i suspect - see how to change to automatic below

can you connect the faulty laptop to the router by cable ? - if so does that work and if it does then we need to change the wireless settings to automatic

it may also be worth doing a tcp/ip reset - see below

can you post back an ipconfig /all for the working PC

Setup to Automatically get an IP and DNS (DHCP) - for Windows 7
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

For Windows 8
    to open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter

ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box
    (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The DNS going with the letters/numbers means the computer is using IPv6 connectivity.

4. Steforitos

I'm at college right now where there is free internet and I've brought both of the laptops with me. But the internet at home is dead, so connecting my laptop with cable doesn't work either but I haven't had the chance to try it with working internet.
    I've set the IP and DNS to automatic as you said and here is the ipconfig /all for the working laptop

And here is the ipconfig /all for the faulty laptop

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so this is from college wireless - correct

what happens when you try and connect the wireless on the faulty laptop- what information is given back , as you do not have a connection

is the wireless on the faulty laptop on

Check the wireless is switched ON
    theres often a physical switch or a combination of the FN and one of the F keys to toggle the wireless on/off - is the wireless on?

can you download and copy across and install on to the faulty laptop xirrus and post a screen shot
    Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
    Download and install

If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and install the program.
    You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.

http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi-Inspector.aspx
    Direct link to the program is here http://info.xirrus.com/Wi-FiInspectorConfirmation.html

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
    if you get an error - You need will need to have NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.
    On windows 8 - (i do not have windows 8) but, it would appear that, When you first try to run, you may get a message that .net framework is needed, and included in that message is a link to download/install.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/cdn/pdf/Xirrus-Wi-Fi-inspectorguide-1-2-1-RevB-6.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running.
    if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information.

post which SSID name is yours, its located in the list, under network "Adapter Name" (1st column)

Note:
    For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better. "A desirable signal level for a robust Wi-Fi connection will be green".
    note: the signal level is a negative number, so for example -88 is worst and -40 is better

To post a screen shot of the active window.
    Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

6. Steforitos

The internet on my laptop is working now! It no longer gives me DNS error. This did the trick.
    Thank you very much, this had given me quite the headache.

But the DNS servers are still fec0:0:0:ffff::1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 and fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1 as opposed to 192.168.2.23 and 192.168.2.16 on the other laptop. Does that not affect anything?

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no they are picking up the ipv6 dns - usually the ipv4 is there as well

can we see the ipconfig /all

try

Flush & register DNS

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
    In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Ipconfig/flushdns
    ipconfig/registerdns

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator
    Start> All Programs> Accessories and then right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

now type the command again

8. Steforitos

Okay, I flushed the DNS and registered them again. This is the ipconfig /all as of now.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so that looks ok with the DNS

10. Steforitos

I guess so :) Thank you for you help!
    Now I just have to figure out why the DSL light is out but I'll probably just let the phone company handle that tomorrow.

There is no way that there is a link between the DNS error on my laptop and the internet being out?
    It both happened at the same time so I feel like there is a link, but it seems improbable.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    umlikely - but if the router though a glitch

make and model of the router

they often have a DSL and an internet light

the DSL is testing to see if the telephone line has DSL enabled - and on if enabled
    and the internet light is usually when the router has logged into the ISP service - on when logged in and often blinking when data is transferring

So is it the DSL light or the internet light thats out on the router

if DSL they should be able to do a line test for that from the call centre and see the fault

12. Steforitos

I have a Zyxel P-870HN-51b. I'm still getting DNS server problems,now just on the router. I checked the status of it and it says that both the primary and secondary DNS are 0.0.0.0. All of the numbers are 0.0.0.0, including the IP address and the IP subnet mask. The Interface status says the DSL has NoLink, same with LAN2, LAN3 and LAN4 but LAN1 and WLAN is up. I can't post print screens because I'm typing this on my phone.

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    According to that manual and to you that the DSL light is out, the physical connection is not detected. The possible causes are:

Things you can check:

Bad phone wall jack (if no phone has been connected here, test a phone in it for dial tone)
    Bad phone cord (replace it)

Things you can't check/may not be able to check:
    Bad port on modem
    Port has been disabled
    Internal wiring configuration is wrong in the wall jack

If the first two does not prove successful, the modem will need to be replaced to confirm #3 and #4. #1 and #5 kind of tied together. If you do #1 and have no dial tone, then you are looking at an internal wiring issue.

If you haven't done so, and you have extra active wall jacks to confirm, try the modem in another phone jack. All you need is the power cord, phone cord and modem. If the DSL light is not on, try another phone cord just in case. If that doesn't work, then the modem is defective.

15. Steforitos

I'm looking at the user manual. The DSL and the Internet light are both off which means that the DSL line is down and the device doesn't have an IP connection.
    Here are the screen shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have a home phone or any phone to test the phone wall jack but I find it strange that it would stop working at the same time as my laptop.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice