1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Do cable modem and Netgear router need to be close to each other?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by vidamasvida, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vidamasvida

vidamasvida Thread Starter

We have always had the cable modem and Netgear router near each other (with computers nearby as well.) Now we want to set up our computers in another room. We want to leave the modem where it is, and relocate the router near our computers, which are not wireless. Doing it this way means there will be only one cable running room to room. Will this compromise our internet speed? I am assuming the 50 ft line from modem-to-router will not affect the speed.

2. valis

valis Moderator

shouldn't be. I've got a linux box downstairs that is physically connected to the upstairs router (which is next to the modem) via a 50' ethernet cable, and I'm fine on that.....

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There is no problem running the cable up to 100 meters between the modem and the router.

4. vidamasvida

vidamasvida Thread Starter

thanks!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

My FiOS ONT (Optical Network Terminal, aka modem) is in my basement, and my router is in the other end of the house. The network is happy as a clam. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/940414