1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Do I have to use VGA?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doctorzeus, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doctorzeus

doctorzeus Thread Starter

Hey,

I'm just building a new computer and have ordered a graphics card with 2 DVI outputs and no VGA as well as having no VGA output on the motherboard..

My question is when I first boot this thing up, will the motherboard imedietly recognise the Graphics Hardware and the display output?

In otherwords will I be able to see stuff of the screen such as the bios starting and etc with no VGA ports and only DVI? (XFX Radeon HD 5770)

Hope you know what I'm getting at..

Thanks

Doctorzeus

2. raybro

raybro

Sure you will. VGA (Video Graphics Array) output is actually the result of conversion of the DVI (Digital Visual Interface) video signal created by the video card. Using DVI does nothing more than eliminate the DVI/VGA conversion process.

Raybro

3. Wino

Wino

No, and depends on your monitor ports. If you have both DVI and VGA connections on monitor you're good to go. If no DVI, just VGA, you will get (normally) a DVI/VGA dongel with your video card to adapt DVI to VGA if need be and that works perfectly. My 5770 has 2-DVI, 1-HDMI and 1-Display Port and I'm using the HDMI to an HDMI monitor (monitor has DVI - VGA - HDMI ports).

Happy Holidays!(y)

4. doctorzeus

doctorzeus Thread Starter

Ok Thanks for the replys, I thought it would but just wanted to be sure :)

Thanks

Doctorzeus

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970389

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice