1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Do I have USB ports?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gabria, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gabria

gabria Thread Starter

I've got an older computer and now I'm thinking of buying a digital camera. Most digital cameras appear to connect to one's computer via a USB port. How can I tell whether or not my computer has USB ports? I don't even know what one is supposed to look like. I'm using Windows 98 (SE).

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi gabria,
    It is a rectangular shaped port in the back of your PC. Usually located near the mouse and keyboard ports. How old is your PC?

3. RandyG

RandyG

4. gabria

gabria Thread Starter

Thanks to both you guys for the very quick responses. From the picture I now know that I have USB ports. I can go ahead and shop for a camera.

Once again thanks. I really appreciate your help.

Gabria

5. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Your Welcome!

6. RandyG

RandyG

Glad we could help.

Make sure you know your system specs before committing to purchasing a difital camera. A nontechnical friend of mine bought one, and afterwards we had to upgrade his Ram and Operating System. He also ended up paying Toshiba support over £300 for their services before bringing me in.

http://uk.dir.yahoo.com/Arts/Visual_Arts/Photography/Cameras/Digital/ has a few sites that deal in reviews on Digital cameras.

7. gabria

gabria Thread Starter

Well, it's been nearly 2 years since I posted the above asking how I could tell whether or not I had USB ports. Finding out (from here) that I did indeed have USB ports, I bought a digital camera and later a USB mouse and I've been using them both without problems ever since. But today I had a problem.

My CMOS battery was getting weak and I was losing about 9 hours a day on my internal clock. This morning I bought a new battery and installed it - (old battery out and new one in in less that 1 (one) second and still my settings were lost). I got everything up and running again but my USB mouse wasn't working. I installed an old PS2 mouse and started trying to figure out why the USB mouse wouldn't work. I dug out it's software and re-installed it a couple of times but it still didn't work. Finally, (Duh .... who's a dummy?), I plugged in my USB digital camera and the computer didn't recognize it either - at least I now knew that the problem was USB associated.

I vaguely remembered from last time that I'd had a lot of trouble getting the camera to work when I first tried to install it and was sure that somewhere on my computer I'd found a setting that had to be activated. After much searching if found it again. It was in the BIOS SETUP (sub-category FEATURES SETUP) and near the bottom of that page there are two items USB FUNCTIONS and USB FUNCTIONS FOR DOS (both were disabled) I clicked the 'page up' key on my numerical keyboard and enabled them both, then saved my settings and rebooted. My computer then detected new hardware (the USB mouse) and asked me to put my Windows98(SE) CD in the drive then it installed the drivers it wanted for the mouse. Next I plugged in my digital camera and Windows installed it.

I just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else with AMI (American Megatrends) BIOS has a similar problem. You can have everything else all set up perfectly but if you don't activate the USB from the BIOS, you'll be out of luck. Also, if you lose your BIOS settings, AMI defaults to disabling your USB ports.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice