Solved: Do I Need A New Monitor?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MCBride

I have a IBM 17" monitor that keeps displaying letters in either green or black. Other graphics seem to be ok. My is system is:

Emachines - 800MHZ Intel Celeron
256MB RAM
24bit video

Any help is deeply appreciated.

MCBride

It's every 3 or four letters, example. The word is people. "peo" is green "p" is black and le is green.

Do the color move with the screen or when you scroll up or down? If so your monitor may be on it's way out, if not check your connetions, make sure that they are tight. And If your computer has a video card make sure it's seated correctly.

MCBride

The colors don't move. I checked the connection and the card seems secure. Should I get a monitor soon?

You may, however check your computer connected to a different monitor to see if the problem remains, it may be RF distortion from a cell or wireless phone, or magnetic fields caused by unshielded speakers, halogen lights etc., if this distortion stays in one place on the monitor. You can also try physically moving the monitor around to see if the distortion moves then you'll know for sure if it's an outside influence. if all this fails (good display on different monitor, and locating distortion) then a new monitor is in order before this one goes on you (may take years to go out)

Triple6

Rob
I would be more suspicious of the video card then the monitor. Trying another monitor or trying you monitor on another computer is your best bet to find the problem.

MCBride

I did have the GEforce 32 bit video card but the card kept getting hot and I took it out. I am going to put in back and get the correct error message and post it here. Thanks.

MCBride

I tried another monitor and seem to work ok. Which video card would you recommend getting?

MCBride

Thanks, please close this thread. Found a monitor on sale and it seems to be working ok.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online