1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Do i need a switch

Discussion in 'Networking' started by r055c, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r055c

r055c Thread Starter

Hi everyone.

Wonder if somebody can help me out here. After a lot of googling i think I've found the answer but would like somebody to confirm this for me.

My current home setup is as follows.

Sky router setup in the living room, with a NAS, TV, PS3 connected to it.
    In my office (separate room), i have 2 laptops and a desktop PC.

My question is:

If i want to connect all of the equipment in my office so that it shares the broadband connection (apologies if wrong terminology is used), am i right in thinking i would need to by some form of switch? where the switch would be connected to the phone socket in the wall, and the 2 laptops and desktop PC would be connected directly to the switch.?

Hope I've made this as clear as possible but when it comes to networking, unless it' WiFi then i'm lost :-(

thanks in advance

Ross

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no, you wont be able to connect via a phone extension

do you have wireless and does it reach the office

you could do a few things
    1) a wireless range extender
    2) powerline adapters via the electrical system

whats the make and model of the current sky router ?

3. r055c

r055c Thread Starter

Hi Etaf,

The Wifi works on one of the laptops however my other 2 are work laptops where WifI has been disabled.

I don't know the exact model number but they are the new 'n' routers that sky are using.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so you need to be able to get ethernet into the office - which means running a cable - or using the powerline home adapters - you can get adapters which have 3 LAN connections on the device
    the quality will depend on the electrical wiring of the house - how old is the wiring?
    a few powerlines cannot be used on extension leads and have to be plugged into a socket - some have a pass through so you can connect another electrical appliance to the power adapter

I dont really have any recommendations - best to look on amazon or maplin for powerline adapters

5. r055c

r055c Thread Starter

Thanks ETAF, just shows how much about networking i know :-(

I'll see if i can persuade my wife to start laying CAT5 through the house...however i suspect it will be the power line adapters.

thanks for your help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice