1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: do i need a switch????

Discussion in 'Networking' started by whelm, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

Hi
    I have 4 computers all up in my house. at the moment i have 3 computers all together using wireless to connect to my router in my office. the last computer is in the office and using a lan cable to connect to the router

I want to get power over Ethernet to connect to my modem rather than using wireless which doesn't preform very well (i use to play multilayer games). rather than get 4 power over Ethernet devices i want to get only 2. one connecting to my router and the other in the room with my three computers.

i think i need a switch to connect 3 of my computers to the power over Ethernet adapter can someone tell me if that would work???

2. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

oh and about how much will it cost???

3. jmwills

jmwills

Get a 5 or 8 port switch and conenct the switch to obne of the routers LAN ports. Connect the PC's to the switch.

All will be good.

4. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

umm didnt think bout this before but i hav a spare router/modem would that be fine to use instead of a switch???

5. jmwills

jmwills

A pure router would work as long as you disabled DHCP and gave the router a static IP address within the scope of the existing DHCP server, but a router/modem combo could be problematic.

A good 5 port switch can be found for about $15.

6. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

i was kinda looking for gigabit switch as 2 of my computers use gigabit and would be helpful for transferring files

would that be much more???

7. jmwills

jmwills

8. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

and wat about the power over ethernet adapter would that be much different from using normal lan???

9. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

i mean speed will it do what a normal lan connection would do???

10. jmwills

jmwills

11. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

what would be better???
    wireless N or POE ????
    i am 5 meters (15 feet) away from my modem
    i would put the wireless N router next to my modem (which is also a modem and router)

12. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

13. jmwills

jmwills

Wireless N is good is you have a Wireless N router and adapter. Leave the POE alone.

14. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Let's clarify some terminology issues here. What you all are discussing is NOT PoE or power over ethernet. What you all are talking about is powerline ethernet. PoE or IEEE 802.3af is a standard by which power can be injected into ethernet cables to power a device. PoE is used in applications to power things like wireless access points, VoIP phones, and security cameras. The advantage of doing this is the ability to easily deploy network devices by running a single CAT 5-6 cable to any location without worrying about having to find nearby power outlets. I have my Netgear wireless access point in my network running on PoE as well as two Cisco IP phones.

Powerline ethernet has had issues as indicated by various posters. The speed of powerline ethernet from some of the discussions I remember have been topping out at about 70ish Mbps in real world testing and under ideal conditions. From what I understand, the technology has matured enough where it might be worth while testing the use of such device to see if it is satisfactory in your scenario.

802.11n is a more reliable and proven technology. But don't believe the claims about the 300 Mbps speed. In the tests I've seen, n hasn't been able to break the 100 Mbps barrier. The closest was around 80 or so Mbps.

If you want GigE speeds or anything near it, the only way to get it is via a cable.

15. whelm

whelm Thread Starter

all i want is something that wont make my ping jump every 20 sec and allow me and my friends to play lan on crysis with no or little lag

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice