1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Do i need anti-virus software?

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by mpeet611, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

Hello, Yesterday i installed Zorin OS 9 Core on a friends laptop & i couldn't find any anti-virus software for it. When i looked at the Zorin website i got the impression that it's immune to viruses so i don't need it but i would like to hear from an experienced linux user since i've never used linux until now if i need it or not. If i do need it please tell me where i can download a free anti-virus product since my friend doesn't have money to spend on anti-virus protection right now.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Zorin is based on Ubuntu. A very good intro to Linux security here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

I don't have a/v on my Linux setup, but have no networking to Windows machines nor doc sharing etc.

I do have a firewall though, easily set up with gufw - a gui probably in Zorin's software app. More info here:
    http://gufw.org/ free by the way.

3. renegade600

renegade600

you do not need any antiviruses at this time, However, linux is not immune to them. Just keep watch on the different tech sites and forums for any that may appear in the future. As previously mentions, you do need to make sure the firewall is active.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You also need to be careful about sharing via USB.
    Also things like documents, music, videos etc can still carry viruses even though, for the moment, Zorin itself may be relatively safe.

5. mpeet611

mpeet611 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses & i'll keep an eye out for any anti-virus programs that may come out in the future. I'll also tell my friend to make sure his firewall is on.

6. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

You're welcome!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice