1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: do I need internet to access 2 wireless laptops?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bp936, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

I want to share my files from one laptop to the other and maybe the desktop. Laptops are according to specs, "wireless". Don't they connect direct wirelessly, without an internet connections? I do not want to share any internet connection or connect anywhere else but inside my house. Just files transfers. Is there a way to do it? Can someone point me where I could read more about this, I shouldn't need a router or whatever, if the laptop is capable of wireless connections, or ?? :confused:

2. Akmorph

Akmorph

You should be able to setup an AD-HOC network with password so the 2 laptops can wirelessly connect to each other. As for connecting them to the desktop .. your going to need a crossover cable or some sort of Jump Drive or External Hard Drive. If you have a network connection already you could setup a share folder on the computer and put a password on it that you could connect with the wireless laptop and access it , but that would be dependant on your network.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Truthfully, if the files are any size, you'll be MUCH happier with a crossover cable. Wireless transfers will be a fraction of the speed you'll get with a cable. :)

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

A lot depends on the physical location of the laptops. If you want to take advantage of the ability to move them around or have them be in different rooms, then you might consider wireless. Depending on the size of the files, it might not turn out to be much of a problem. My two daughters regularly share files over their two wireless laptops. I even backup both their laptops to my wireless computer and the performance is perfectly acceptable.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No, wired connections will ALWAYS be much faster than 802..11g connections, I'm stunned that anyone can argue this point. :rolleyes: Bob, you must really not get out much if you actually think there is any comparison to a wireless connection and a wired 100mbit Ethernet connection. Sharing "small" files might not be an issue, but I can assure you that sharing large files or image backups will be SIGNIFICANTLY slower, and I'm talking multiple times slower. What are you smoking? :)

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Oh yes, wired connections are faster that wireless. Never said otherwise. Might want to re-read that again.

And to clear something up, haven't smoke anything for something like 35 years now. But the comment was funny.

7. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

still trying to connect the computers, I get lost somewhere in the setup despite writing down steps I do, something is still wrong. But I love you guys anyway:) , I am learning from each of you despite your different opinions. I have a Maxtor that I carry from upstairs to downstairs but I thought if my computers are wireless, why always unplug, blah,blah? Also I would not have to carry the laptop to the printer etc. One laptop in country kitchen, where I also watch TV at the same time, one laptop in livingroom, desktop upstair in (kids ex- bedroom) now computer room.
    I just found out, the desktop has only an ethernet adapter, :eek: so what do I need to buy to make it connect wirelessly to laptops? Is there such a thing in the first place.??
    I hope I can make all this work, even if it takes me a long time, I always come back here and check what the answers are and study other's postings. If I figure this out I will post it to others how it was solved.
    now I gotto go cook supper, always these interruption, but hubby won't let me buy computer stuff if he doesn't get to eat.:rolleyes:

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you don't have wireless then you can:

1. Connect with a wire. Of course this won't allow you to have the two laptops in differernt rooms like you want.

2. Get a wireless network card for the laptop. This would slide into the PCMCIA slot on the side.

9. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

follow up- managed to crash one laptop. Wouldn't even start unless in Safemode, had to restore before experimentations. Still reading up on all this, what does it mean when it asks me, enter:SSID network name. Is a home connection also called "network"? Who gives it a name? As you can see I am a real beginner with this.:confused: Do the computers have to belong to the same workgroup?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  11. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

it't 2 days later now, thanks for the latest info, bought myself a wireless Lynksys -G 2.4 GHz, connected it to desktop and followed disk instructions that came with it. Entered SSID, computer name, user name, etc on each computer. All three computer were setup I thought, but none connected to anything. RE=read instructions from you guys, changed probably a million things on each computer. After 5 hours I shut down the old laptop.
    Wireless lynksys that is connected with ethernet to desktop, wanted to connect to laptop, laptop could see lynksys desktop, but constantly lost connections.
    :confused: So I doublechecked settings in Windows firewall, THEN I REMEMBERED I HAVE THE OLD SYGATE FIREWALL ALSO RUNNING (on all computers) but after I closed it, everything came to life. I have a program called Atheros on the laptop and apparently all I have to do is, drop a file on it to transfer. :D it worked, then I got brave and sent a picture to be printed wearilessly to desktop, that is connected to printer :D and it worked.
    I am telling this because you guys helped me more than I can thank you. Now I will persist on connecting the 3rd one.

fyi, I didn't want to connect to the internet with router, I singularly connect the computer I am at rather. So for file transfer it worked.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Good job getting the laptop computers connecting wireless. Now you have the ability to move them around the house and still be able to transfer files.

13. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

after 5 crashes (network connections not working) while trying to connect to a wireless infrared port on the old Toshiba laptop didn't work, I gave up to connect 3 computers, so now 2 computers seem to talk to each other from both ends. I don't know how I did it, but I have followed all instructions given here. I hope it won't disappear again, I will mark this "solved" since it seems I have to learn a lot more. For anyone trying the same, the main things seems to be, disable any firewall other than Windows. I will find out what other firewalls I need to get or if Windows is enough?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice