Solved: Do You Get "Previews" for JPG Files in Windows Explorer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xmf

My mistake, I should have included that I'm not getting previews in thumbnail mode.

xmf, Go to the link below and click on the "imgeditor.zip" file to download it, Save it to somewhere you can find it easily. Now double click that file to unzip it and expose the exe file and then double click the exe file to open it. I would the checkmark all of the 12 file extensions then click the "Repair associations" button. It should restore your Preview problem.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgassofix.htm

Tufenuf

xmf

That changed the thumbnails to the unknown filetype icon. So do other users here have JPG image previews in thumbnail view?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Try this fix: Enable Thumbnail View

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

===================================================================

If no luck, try Restore Thumbnail Views.

xmf

That didn't work. Also, strangely, the "Restore Thumbnail Views" (from Kelly's Korner) doesn't include extensions like bmp, jpg, and gif.

So do other users here have JPG image previews in thumbnail view?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
If you open My Pictures (or any other folder where your pictures are stored) and click on View, you do have Thumbnails selected, right?

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Try the following:

Click Start > Run > type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Click OK

Reboot the computer.

If no luck,

try the following ones:

regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll

xmf

Okay, thank you for the help. Before I try this I'd like to figure out if other XP users have previews for JPGs in thumbnail view.

Okay, thank you for the help. Before I try this I'd like to figure out if other XP users have previews for JPGs in thumbnail view.
xmf, If I use Thumbnail view I don't have the preview feature in the lower left. If I use icon view I do have the preview feature in the lower left.. Windows XP SP3. Why would you want the preview when the thumbnail shows you the picture?

Tufenuf

xmf

@Tufenuf

To clarify, I'm trying to have the thumbnail be image previews by default.

xmf, What shows when you open that picture folder and click View>Thumbnails? Do all the pictures show as Thumbnails or do they only show as Icons?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online