1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Do you recommend this?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gil777t, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gil777t

gil777t Thread Starter

Hello Folks,
    If someone never did a Hijack this log, or a Boot in Safe Mode, would you recommend that they do one just encase the need arises so they don't feel over whelmed if they have a real problem? Sorry to post such a trivial question, but this my learning tool.
    Regards,
    Gil777t

2. Sponsor

3. dotty999

dotty999

I can't speak for anyone else but I'd say if it aint broke don't fix it, just make sure you have an anti virus prog and anti malware programmes, do regular scans and take it from there :)

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Running HJT once in a while may be a good idea just to get familiar with what is normally there. Same thing with the processes in Task Manager. If you are familiar with them, you know immediately when something new and possibly undesirable shows up.

5. gil777t

gil777t Thread Starter

Thank you Dotty999,
    I appreciate you posting your opinion, and yes, my computer is secure using security software.
    Best Regards,
    Gil777t :)

6. gil777t

gil777t Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil
    I'm going to do one of each when I get up the courage. It took me 6 weeks to get up the nerve to install Malwarebytes to augment my paid subscription to Norton 360, and Windows Defender. Just one question please, when I boot up in safe mode, will their be an X button to back out?
    Best Regards,
    Gil777t

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Safe Mode will look almost like normal mode. Many drivers are not loaded and services started, but you will have a normal desktop (possibly larger due to absence of graphics driver) and a Start button.

But you should get used to the output of those programs in normal mode, not Safe Mode. After all, it is in normal mode that all your programs and services are running so you can see them in the scan.

Safe Mode is really for removing the bad guys after they are found. Since fewer things are running, it is sometimes easier to clean in Safe Mode. But the scan from HJT should always be done in normal mode.

8. gil777t

gil777t Thread Starter

I apologize for not asking my question more precisely. The question is, How do I get out of safe mode? Thank you for taking the time to answer.
    Best Regards,
    Gil777t
    P.S Thank you for your information in all of your reply. It helps me alot

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Start button, as usual. It will reboot into normal mode.

10. gil777t

gil777t Thread Starter

OK Evandil
    I'm going to mark this one solved, When I finally do it, I'm going to announce my personal victory. I appreciate this forum, and you taking the time to answer.
    Regards'
    Gil777t

11. dotty999

dotty999

good luck Gil:)

12. gil777t

gil777t Thread Starter

Thanks Dotty,
    I think I'll have myself syked up in about a week. I have to learn sometime, and judging by the number of your posts, just like you so long, long ago.
    Best Regards,
    Gil777t :p

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883434