1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Do You Recommend Using MSE w/MalwareBytes?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by MarcATL, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I've already spent about an hour reading previous posts on the subject of antivirus and malware helpers on here. I realize it's largely personal preference, however, I'm a big fan of proponent of Microsoft Security Essentials. I've always thought that it's best not to have too many such utilities installed and running simultaneously, as they tend to "fight each other." MSE has been doing wonders for me.

Up to about two and a half years or so ago I was all about AVG, I'd install that, Malwarebytes, and SpyBot S&D. Then once I got hip to MSE, that basically did the job of all three, and did it well. However, I'm always looking for ways to improve and update my setups and now I'm wondering if it would be beneficial to add Malwarbytes to it.

Does MSE and Malwarebytes work nicely together or no?

What other combos you guys know of and/or use that work well?

I guess this can be another excuse to post about what antivirus/malware/firewall protection you use.

What say you?

2. Cheeseball81

Cheeseball81 Retired Moderator

I've become quite the fan of MSE as well. I do use MalwareBytes along with it and have had no problems. I use the free version and run a scan every 2-3 weeks.

3. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

I preach MSE as gospel to my friends, clients and potential clients. That's all I use, and like I tell them, I frequent dangerous sites online, e.g. torrent sites etc.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    All 4 of my computers have
    Microsoft Security Essentials 4.0.1111.0
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
    SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0.0.1142

MSE is always running and does it own thing in the background.

MBAM and SAS are started and updated once a week and a quick scan done and everything removed - if anything is found.

------------------------------------------------------------

5. valis

valis Moderator

if you hit torrent sites, doesn't really matter what AV you use; at that point in time you are introducing junkware directly into your pc yourself. ;)

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You can count on having problems on a regular basis. :eek:

------------------------------------------------------------

7. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

I've rarely had problems to be quite honest. MSE generally picks it instantly.
    And I've been using/visiting torrents for years. Although, oddly enough, I'm having a problem right now.
    I'll fix it though.
    Seems like you guys are saying that visiting and using torrent sites makes any and all antivirus and anti-malware moot?
    Is that about right?

8. valis

valis Moderator

Yup. It's like a vampire knocking at your window; they can't come in until you allow them, but after that, all bets are off. :)

9. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

LoL!! WoW...what an analogy.

You're making me pause here.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Merry Christmas.

10. valis

valis Moderator

de nada. Just finished reading 'Salem Lot (scariest book ever) and that was sort of on my mind. :)

Merry Christmas back. :)

11. escalader

escalader

Hi:
    We all need 3 defence layers IMHO. There are many tools available to populate each layer.

1) Prevention
    2) Detect and remove and or quarantine
    3) Cure

For prevention (lock out the bad guys) we can use, router with H/W firewall and a SW firewall backing that up that is 2 way. Combine this with a RT AV/ASW tool to detect bad files before they open. We can run your browsers within a sandbox to isolate any bad stuff that gets downloaded.

For Detect we need the same RT AV/ASW to find and remove or quarantine the virus, a HIPS feature helps with this as well.

For cure we need an image backup of data and of programs so that if the first two layers fail we can restore to a safe state.

Your MSE deals with 1 and some of 2 and the malware bytes as well does the rest. but I'm not sure of it's HIPS? Others may know.

I heard nothing from you re cure?

Optimize the security setting on your browsers helps as well. Run under UAC not admin mode to prevent illegal installs.

12. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

Hmmm, interesting...very in-depth post.
    And there I was thinking it was kinda overkill.
    I'll take your suggestions into consideration.
    Thanks! (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032289

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice