Solved: .doc word icon changed to wordpad icon

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thaspraya

Hey, I tried to install a Windows XP theme (which worked before previously), but something went wrong and I changed it back to the default XP theme. For some reason, all MS Word .doc files are now displaying the wordpad icon ->
The files still open in MS Word, like they should. It's just that it's not very convenient, and I want my OS to work the way it should :)

You could try right-clicking any word document, selecting "Open With", then choose "Choose Program". Check the box that says "Always Use The Selected Program..." and make sure Word is selected at the top. Click OK, and that MIGHT fix it.

thaspraya

You could try right-clicking any word document, selecting "Open With", then choose "Choose Program". Check the box that says "Always Use The Selected Program..." and make sure Word is selected at the top. Click OK, and that MIGHT fix it.
I tried that before, and it doesn't work :( The file opens in MS Word, but the icon doesn't change.

thaspraya, Go into Folder Options>File Types tab, scroll down to DOC, hilite it, click the Advanced button, click the Change Icon button, choose the icon you want, you may have to Browse to the Word Program's .exe file, hilite it, click open, OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

thaspraya

thaspraya, Go into Folder Options>File Types tab, scroll down to DOC, hilite it, click the Advanced button, click the Change Icon button, choose the icon you want, you may have to Browse to the Word Program's .exe file, hilite it, click open, OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf
It worked perfectly! Found a lot of topics about this on google, but none provided this answer. Thanks for your help :)

thaspraya, Glad to see that the problem is corrected and Thanks for posting back to let us know. You could mark this thread as "Solved" using the Thread Tools at the top of your first post.

Tufenuf

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online