1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Docking station

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rcdade, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rcdade

rcdade Thread Starter

I have a lenovo g770 laptop, and I need a docking station for it. Does anyone know what I should buy?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It really depends what kinds of docking you need to do, what type of connections you require.

But any docking station that would allow simply connecting the laptop would need to come from Lenovo or an associated company. Every laptop is different in that respect.

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you actually search for products to help the poster, or did you just run a generic Google search?

Docking stations are rarely made any more since the number of laptop models is so great. Generally, they're only available for business class laptops, and you have a consumer laptop.

5. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    The site that I gave this poster should give them what they are looking for. I do not have the Model number so could not take them directly to the page they would need. On the left side of the link is a place for them to insert their model number and this should take them where they need to go. I'm sure it would also tell them if there is no docking station for that model.

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I'd have to say that captainiron276's link to Lenovo's site is a pretty good place to start looking for a Lenovo docking station for the laptop. So, I'm in agreement with Elvandil; shopping at Lenovo is an excellent place to start. Still, DoubleH, your suggestions for alternative sources are undoubtedly much appreciated.

7. rcdade

rcdade Thread Starter

thanks for all the support. I am sure I will find what I need now.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I went to the site captainrod276 linked to, and I didn't see any docking stations for the G770.

9. rcdade

rcdade Thread Starter

I checked at newegg, and there are alot of universal docking stations that connect with 2.0 usb. Do you think those would work?

10. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I'd say that's a question of what functions you want a docking station to perform. The universal solutions certainly don't provide a device where you can just insert your laptop and automatically be on a/c power, and just glancing through the specs, I didn't immediately see any that would provide connections to an external monitor; and those are certainly things I'd want in a docking station. As I see it, the only point to a docking station is that you should be able to insert laptop and have seamless, integrated access to an external monitor, sound, etc. My take on the universal docking stations is that most aren't much more than overblown USB hubs.

11. rcdade

rcdade Thread Starter

Thank you, I know understand more.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice