1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: docx. identified by Word as DOCX

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by HarryDresder, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HarryDresder

HarryDresder Thread Starter

I bought a new computer that runs Windows 7. I installed my copy of Office Ultimate 2007on it, then I uninstalled the trial version of Office 2010 that the computercame with. Then I transferred my files to my new computer.

Every Office program works correctly except Word 2007. While it does recognizes Word 97-2003 documents, it will not recognize Word 2007 documents (docx) and it will not create them either.

Instead, they are displayed with the wrong icon -- not the Word Document icon (blue and white with the W on it), but as a white rectangle withlines across and DOCX on the bottom. I instructed the computer to open these files with Word, and it does open them. In fact, I can edit and save them. However, they save as the unrecognized DOCX files and not as a Microsoft Office Word file.

If I run Word and instruct it to save a New Microsoft Office Word document, it also saves them as the odd DOCX files and not as Microsoft Word Documents. Thus it seems like Word will not make Word files.

When I check the file properties by right clicking, it says this for the type of file: "DOCX File(.docx)." It also says that Microsoft Word opens these documents.

If I check the properties of a Word 97-2003 document, it says it isthis type of file: "Microsoft Office Word 97 - 2003 Document (.doc)."

When I discovered the problem I re-installed Office Ultimate 2007, butit did not fix the problem.

I created one of these DOCX files and emailed it to myself. Then I opened the document on a different computer, and that computer displayed it as a Word document!

So, what is going on here? Anyhelp would be appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. HarryDresder

Thank you for your answer!

However, it doesn't fix the problem. This is so odd! Word 2007 will open these files and allow meto edit and save them. It's just that, for whatever reason, it doesn'trecognize them as its own files. Plus, it will not make Word 2007 docxfiles when prompted, just the odd DOCX (in all caps).

There is a screen shot of this problem attached to this message. It's a screenshot of the same file saved twodifferent ways: as a Word 97-2003 document, and as a DOCX (which was generatedwhen I tried saving it as a Word document, with the docx extension (smallcaps).

Attached Files:

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What is shown in the Options of Word in the Saving area?
    Post a screen shot would help.

5. HarryDresder

Attached to this message is the requested image of what the save menu looks like. It looks like it always does. However, when you try to save it with the top option (Word Document) you get the odd file shown in the picture above. Every other option on the list works correctly.

Thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Now give us a shot of the area that I asked for above?

See my attached.

Attached Files:

7. HarryDresder

I'm sorry that I posted a picture of the wrong thing. I misunderstood. My save area looks the same as yours. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

8. Abe999

Abe999

9. HarryDresder

Abe999,

The problem does not exist with another user. It looks like it's just with this account. Thank you for your help.

I have another quick question: Is it okay to delete the original, defective administrator account once I've created a new one and transfered my files and settings?

10. Abe999

Abe999

Glad you found the problem. Sorry, I can't offer you a definitive answer on deleting the "defective" account. It's beyond my experience level. If I were in your shoes, I'd just take it one step at a time. Create the new account. Get it up and running for a period of time. Then make inquiries about deleting the account. If I couldn't find a convincing answer, I'd do a total backup of the hard drive to revert to, and then delete the account. Might want to leave this thread open a couple days, and give someone else a chance to answer your question.

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    If it is a account that was made and not the "Built in" Administrator account, it can be deleted.

I would NOT do this deletion UNTIL you are 1000% sure that you have copied ALL of your data to this new account. Then I would delete the account and the files at the same time. This is a option when deleting the account.

12. HarryDresder

Thank you for your answers, you guys are great!

It was the user account I made when I started using the new laptop last week. I'm not sure if it is the built in administrator account. So here's another question:

How can I tell if it is the built in administrator account?

13. Abe999

Abe999

14. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    If your files are being saved in the "Users/Administrator", then you are using the builtin Administrator account. But if your files are being save in the folder with your user name on it then you are NOT.

NOTE: on most machines the built in Administrator account is hidden, so you will not see it listed in the Control Panel, or Welcome screen, UNLESS, you have hacked your machine for it to show.

15. HarryDresder

Creating a new account solved this problem. Whatever the issue was, it was specific only to the original user account.

Thank you for your help! Mark this bad-boy as solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!