1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: does exchange have to have a static ext ip address

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by PK-her0, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

setting up a sbs2003 box for messing with...do i have to get a static ip address from my isp to use exchange on this server.
    im thinking it depends wether im using pop connectors or not.

thanks as always

2. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

are there any exchange experts here?

3. srhoades

srhoades

Yes. You have to setup an MX DNS record that needs to point to a static IP for reliable mail delivery.

4. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

where do you setup the mx dns record...on the hosting mail control panel?

thanks for your answer man

5. srhoades

srhoades

Yes, usually the webhost sets the MX record. Unless you have GoDaddy which has total DNS control and then you can do it there. The correct way to do it is to create an A record usually called mail that resolves to your static IP and then point the MX to mail.domainname.com

6. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

You do not have to have a static IP address for the mail server. You DO have to have a static MX record. The MX record will point to the A record, which can be dynamic.

I set up one once that used Go Daddy to point to a ISA server, which used DynDNS to update its dynamic address. That is the address that was used by Go Daddy.

Courtney

7. PK-her0

PK-her0 Thread Starter

thanks guys

8. AQ78

AQ78

NO...

you can do this with dynamic DNS,

basically you register you domain info with no ip, you install a small app on your server so when it detects its external address has changed it contacts NOIP to say my address has changed update my host info and MX records accordingley.

http://www.no-ip.com/

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice