1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Does LAN mean wireless?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cyn4all, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cyn4all

cyn4all Thread Starter

I am looking to buy a Dell laptop on Ebay which the specs say has LAN. I know that stands for Local Area Network. My question is...Does this automatically mean it has wireless capabilities?

2. srhoades

srhoades

No. It should specify some sort of 802.11 adapter for wireless. However, USB wireless adapters are cheap if the laptop does not have one built in.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

As srhoades said, it does not automatically mean it has wireless capabilities.

Some older laptop computers had wired Ethernet LAN ports but no wireless hardware.

4. cyn4all

cyn4all Thread Starter

What does "cheap" mean? It sounds like a good idea with the price I hope to pay for the laptop.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Chuck Trusted Advisor

About $50 USD.

6. cyn4all

cyn4all Thread Starter

Thank you so much!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/836409