1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: D'oh! Deleted Admin account on XP!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Cinjin72, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cinjin72

Cinjin72 Thread Starter

Dweeb alert... There was a "guest" Account, and an account that said "Owner". No "Administrator" account. I bought this as a "beater" PC to keep in the rec room, storage for pics, tunes and games etc... It was a used PC from a Dell repair shop, in "original working order", and I'm starting to wonder if the guy that worked there didn't use it for target practice with his programming gun. >.<

Anyhow, our 15-year-old-going-on-40 thought she would start chatting with classmates after we went to bed, and a-HA! Busted. So I, in all my *finite* wisdom, thought I would get the best of the situation and delete all user accounts, and put in a fresh Admin password.

I. Was. Wrong. I triumphantly deleted the account labeled "Owner", thinking the pc would default to "Administrator" login screen, if not bypassing the Welcome Screen altogether. So, I rebooted and, much to my chagrin, the Welcome Screen showed up alright, but with NO USERS to click on. Nothing. No "Guest", no "User", No "Owner", and no "Administrator"- the entire right side of the Welcome Screen is a BLANK "list".

So, I pulled ye olde "Ctrl-Alt-Del" x 2 and got a prompt that, in the user name blank, said, "Owner", so, I left it blank, and... wait for it......

nothing.

Well, that is, nothing but a logon message that reads, "The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."

My best guess is that there is an unknown password of some sort, and that the default "Administrator" account was renamed to "Owner".

I have 7 gigs of Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd and The Eagles on there, not to mention my one-hit-wonder collection. Yes, I am that much of a dork. Oh, and 4 gigs of family photos. >.>
    (Disclaimer: The above list is not necessarily in any specific order.)

Any suggestions?

Windows XP with SP2
    40G hard drive
    1G ram
    256k Gforce something or other. I think.

2. littlebity

littlebity

Hi Cinjin, Can you just do a system restore and put it back the way it was?

3. nessyguin

nessyguin

On the Ctrl Alt Del x2 screen delete Owner and type Administrator as the user leaving the p/w field blank

4. Cinjin72

Cinjin72 Thread Starter

It's 4 years old, and I don't have a disk for it. I believe the System Recovery is "built-in", I guess you'd say, but I have no bootdisk for it, let alone a Restore CD.

I tried that as well. No luck.

(Thanks for such quick responses, btw!)

5. Cinjin72

Cinjin72 Thread Starter

I really don't want to have to do something like this, but a friend of mine recommended this program, which I don't think I'm allowed to name in forums due to policies, but he said to burn it to a CD as an iso and start up that pc as if it were starting from a bootdisk. "Joe Neighbor" says it will overwrite any and all passwords. Think this is an asinine thing to do? Is there any risk to the machine by attempting this?

I feel like such a maverick. *flex*

6. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    Hi Cinjin72, The rules of TSG state that there can be no help in bypassing passwords.

7. Cinjin72

Cinjin72 Thread Starter

I wouldn't exactly call this "bypassing a password". There has never BEEN a password that I assigned to this PC since I bought it. :(((
    I'm about ready to throw the tower through the window. I've about had it with everyone telling me there is "nothing that can be done".
    Sorry for wasting everyone's, and my time with this. Thanks for your assistance.

8. Cinjin72

Cinjin72 Thread Starter

Just got into BIOS, and under the Security tab, it says:

Supervisor Password Is: Clear
    User Password Is: Clear

Set Supervisor Password [Enter]
    Set User Password [Enter]
    Password on boot: [Disabled]

This is my last shot at this, so is this significant for any reason?

9. littlebity

littlebity

Hi again
    I should have explained how to do a system restore sorry.
    Go to Start
    All Programs
    Accessories
    System Tools
    Stytem Restore

Click system restore and pick a date before you changed it

Hope this helps :)

10. Cinjin72

Cinjin72 Thread Starter

I can't get past the WELCOME SCREEN. I can't LOG IN. I can't GET to the "Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore."

For some reason, the Function keys will not work while booting up. When I tap F8, nothing happens. Only key that does anything is the Delete key, and, when tapped during a boot, it brings me to BIOS.

I'm going to go get a tattoo and be daring today in some way. When I come back, my head will be clear of frustration and I will try again.

11. nessyguin

nessyguin

Meh , I'd have gone to the pub ;)

What keyboard are you using ? USB or PS/2 ? Either way it's strange that the F keys dont work while the Del key does unless it's a multimedia keyboard where F keys have different assignations .
    Given that you have family photos and decent taste in music I'd consider slaving the HD in another machine to ensure the safety of those files , especially Pink Floyd :p
    There'd be no point in trying to sort the Windows problem out while the HD is slaved , by the way . This is just a measure to secure your data as there's a possible format and reinstal looming and any amendments you make to Windows files would just make the problem worse .

12. Cinjin72

Cinjin72 Thread Starter

That's what it's looking like I'll have to do, methinks. I'll be taking both drives out, then. It had a 14g hd in it to begin with, and I threw my old 40g in as the slave, and that's where most of the pics and awesome tunage is anyhow, so, maybe it's for the best. I'm sure I'm just going to end up having to reinstall windows in it, so thanks for the recommendation! Catch ya on the dark side, and thanks! ;)

P.S. PS/2 multi-function keyboard.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Boot to Safe Mode, go in as Administrator and create a new user that is an Admin.

14. Cinjin72

Cinjin72 Thread Starter

If there was *ANY* way I could go in as Administrator, this thread would not exist.

15. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    ok you can get to bios with del key, what happens with tab key? try a restart hitting tab key, might get lucky and get the safe mode options.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755622

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice