Solved: Doing FTP with the command prompt?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Leiki

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to use the command prompt for doing FTP transfers. (I use Windows XP.) My friend has done it and he told me how, but not clearly and i'm not able to contact him now. All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

Go to command prompt and type ftp :)
The 'help' command will give you the rest of the options.

Leiki

brendandonhu said:
Go to command prompt and type ftp :)
The 'help' command will give you the rest of the options.
Thanks for your help. However, when I type in open > [ftp address], it says it's connected but when I type, it doesn't respond for about 30 seconds. Then after it does, it says "Disconnected by local host." Any way to fix this?

Leiki

brendandonhu said:
Did you login?
My friend said that it asks you to login after you connect. But what happens right after I connect is what I explained in my last post.

Can you connect to this FTP server using a different client?
Do you mind posting what server this is? (No username or password needed, just the server.)

Leiki

brendandonhu said:
Can you connect to this FTP server using a different client?
Do you mind posting what server this is? (No username or password needed, just the server.)
Yeah, I can connect using other clients. The server is ftp.freepgs.com. (I did pay for my account.)

That server connects fine from my computer.
Do you have a firewall? If so, you may need to Allow access to the DOS FTP program.

Leiki

brendandonhu said:
That server connects fine from my computer.
Do you have a firewall? If so, you may need to Allow access to the DOS FTP program.
The only firewall I have is the one that came with Windows, and I disabled it completly but it still doesn't work. ;_;

It should prompt you for the username and password. If it doesn't your FTP address is bad or you need to type in the IP address instead of the name.

Leiki

Rockn said:
It should prompt you for the username and password. If it doesn't your FTP address is bad or you need to type in the IP address instead of the name.
I know that my address isn't bad, and I did a ping on my server, and tried it with the IP. It still doesn't work, should I just give up?

Works fine from here other than not having a username and password to enter. Why do you need to use a DOS FTP session?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online