1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Domain names

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Justawind, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

I have a few ideas for a website I want to build. My problem lays in the fact that most names I have tried are taken. Some are legit business and other are just squatters. How different does a domain name need to be? Is there enough of a difference between www.xyz.com and www.x-y-z.com? Suggestions and tips are always appreciated.

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

Depends what you want it for. Obviously the domain name helps with SEO, putting hyphans between the words doesn't effect that. The only thing to consider is that it needs to be memorable so odd hyphan patterns may make it hard for someone to remember. For instance if you met someone, say at a bar, and told them the address, you want that person to be able to remember it by the time they get to a computer. .com and .co.uk are suppose to be the most effective, though i dont know how true that is.

3. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

The goal would be to either build it up and sell it off or turn a profit. Hence why the questions about the domain name. My other concern, and this for example, would be doing micro-soft.com and getting sued by microsoft.com. Again, that is example only. Any other suggestions or comments? Ideas ?

4. IT-Support

IT-Support

In that case microsoft could not sue you, you have bought the domain name, you're not pretending to be them. For instance http://twitter.co.uk/ isn't part of twitter, some else owns it. There is nothing illegal about owning a domain name that is similar to someone elses, you just have to think if you were trying to get up Google with micro-soft, you'll have to combat microsofts SEO team to get on the first page. Which id image will be close to impossible.

5. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

I think you may have answered this but that hold true for such things as .net, .org etc?

6. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Personally, I'd go with a .net or .org or .us before I'd change the name I wanted.

7. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

Ok, I have been playing around with some names and did find 1 .com I did like but still playing with them.

8. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Hypernated names are often considered "spammy"

9. Justawind

Justawind Thread Starter

Well the hunt is over for the domain name and I thank everyone for their responses. Please mark this thread as solved.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!