1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Domain URL Fowarding ??

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by mxbuz, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mxbuz

mxbuz Thread Starter

Hi, I bought a domain address through dotster. I built some pages with Nvu and uploaded them to my free space with my ISP. (TW roadrunner) Everything worked fine. The last time I typed in my web address a dotster web page came up. When I called them they say I have to sign up for a service (and pay) to have my domain URL forward. This doesn't sound like anything I've heard of having to do. Can anyone tell me what my options are? I just want to learn and play with Nvu for a while and thought the free space that I have with roadrunner was a good spot to do that.

Thanks for any help!
    Buz

2. krs51

krs51

I've got just the solution for you, my friend.

Visit the site MyDomain.com and set up a free account, and be sure to use a different account name than the one you use for your Dotster account. Use this link to go straight to the form: https://secure.registerapi.com/account/register.php

Once that's done, login to your Dotster account and click the "My Domains" tab at the top of the page. Click the little check box next to the domain you want to apply URL forwarding to, and from the drop-down list at the bottom of that page select the option "Move domains to another account."

Now just type in your Dotster password, and the user name you just set up at MyDomain. Your domain will instantly be transfered to your new MyDomain account. MyDomain and Dotster are partner companies, but MyDomain offers free URL forwarding and better pricing on domains.

Now just logout of your Dotster account and log back in to your MyDomain account. Once you've logged in, select the "My Domains" tab from the top of the page.

Now click on the domain you just transfered over from your Dotster account.

Once you've done that you should see "URL Forwarding" toward the bottom of the page under the headline "Other Services." Click the "Add Service" link beside it and you'll be taken to the MyDomain shopping cart. URL forwarding will be in the cart, but because these services are free on MyDomain the price will be set to $0.00.

Complete the order as though you were purchasing anything else.

Now just log back in to your MyDomain account, click the "My Domains" tab, then click on the domain again. Now you just need to update your name servers, so just click on the "Update Name Servers" link toward the top of the page. Set the name servers to NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM, NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM, NS3.MYDOMAIN.COM, and NS4.MYDOMAIN.COM, and click "Continue."

Once that's done, find your way back to that same page on last time by clicking "My Domains," then the name of your domain. Now when you scroll down to the "Other Services" section you should see a link that says "Manage" next to URL forwarding. Click that link, set up your URL forwarding, and you're good to go!!

Allow up to 20 minutes or more for the name servers to switch out, but that should take care of it. Enjoy!

3. mxbuz

mxbuz Thread Starter

Krs51,

Thank you so much for the help. that was exactly what I needed. You walked me through that process perfectly but, as soon as you left me on my own I had a question. When I went to "other services" and hit "manage" it had my domain in the destination box. Do I need to get a address from roadrunner to put in there? I my be all set and just didn't wait long enough to try it.

Thanks again, that was great!
    Buz

4. krs51

krs51

URL forwarding means that you can point your domain to any existing web page. So, in that box that currently lists your domain name you could enter anything you want. If, for example, you just typed http://www.ebay.com into that box, any time you type in your domain name you'll end up on ebay.com. All you'll need to know to get your URL forwarding to work is where your site is currently located on the internet. Once you figure that out just type the address into that box. But if your free web space is just for storage and not for hosting a website, I'm afraid you're going to need to buy a hosting package.

If you do end up needing a hosting package, Nvu.com has a really awesome help section that'll walk you though the process and I definitely suggest that you just follow their instructions. The hosting provider they recommend is Dotster, incidentally, so you won't even need to find another company than the one you're currently using for your domain. Nvu even has a special coupon that'll give you a great discount.

The best part is, if you do end up getting a hosting account, you actually won't even need to use URL forwarding. :) If you get a hosting package from Dotster you'll want to transfer that domain back to your Dotster account just the same way you transferred it over to MyDomain. Sorry to have made you go to all that trouble.

5. mxbuz

mxbuz Thread Starter

I can't believe this is such a pain. I got everything set up as you described above and I found my web pages. I copy and paste the URL of my pages into the destination field. (http://home.rochester.rr.com/eleventhhourgift/) I did a update and then I type in my domain (eleventhhourgifts.com) and all I get is a blank page. Does anyone have a idea of what I am missing?

Thank You!
    Buz

6. mxbuz

mxbuz Thread Starter

It works now, all this changing around must take some time. Krs51 you were a life saver, thank you for your help. Now I can get back to playing with my site to see if I can make it look half way descent. (long way to go)

Thanks again!
    Buz:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540265

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice