Solved: Don't know which partition I can live without

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

anemone42

Hejsa!

I'd like to install Linux on my laptop, but I can't find a free partition -- all 4 partitions are already taken.

HP620. Windows7.

These are my existing partitions:

dev sda1 ntfs 314 MB 105 MB
dev sda2 ntfs 301501 MB 39823 MB
dev sda3 ntfs 16106 MB 13282 MB
dev sda4 fat32 2142 MB 32 MB

One of these is a "disc" called HP_TOOLS.

What can be done, without me totally ****ing up Windows?

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi and Welcome,
Before you go any further ....

What's in sda2 and sda3? I'm guessing Windows in sda2?

Any chance you could run Gparted in 'try' mode in Ubuntu (or whichever Linux you're thinking of using)and post a screen shot here?

Richard

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi,
Thanks. First off, backup all your important docs, pics, vids, tunes etc to external storage media before going any further - just in case!!

It looks as if you've plenty of space to use the option to 'install alongside Windows & choose at boot' in sda2.

What I did though on my Dell was to make sure the system restore discs provided did in fact work and then I deleted the restore partition on my Dell and installed Ubuntu there (approx 6gb used of 12gb available). A bit unusual but it worked for me!!
This guide for Ubuntu 10.04 & Windows is a good starting point - current version Ubuntu is 11.10 but method is the same.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-10-04-LTS-141550.shtml

Richard

If you make any changes at all to your partitions, you will lose access to recovery. If you have the disks, as mentioned, you don't need the recovery partition. But if you don't, that is the equivalent of your Windows DVD and you need it to repair or reinstall Windows.

Depending what version of a Linux-based OS you plan to use (There is no "Linux" operating system - Linux is just a kernel and many operating systems are built around it, some very different from one another), you can use something like WUBI to create a virtual drive within Windows without making any changes at all to your partitions. Then recovery will be safe, you can boot the new OS just as if it had its own partition, and you can easily remove it later if you want the space back.

anemone42

Thanks for the Ubuntu/Wubi-option, but I've already discarded that.

I don't have any Windows CDs (or DVDs?) (install, restore or anything else), but I guess it's possible to create some?

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Yes, you can create one set of Recovery DVDs (or CDs) from the Recovery partition. Check the documentation you received or HP's web site for instructions. Or find the program in Start - All Programs, probably in an HP folder.

anemone42

Created repair CD. Uninstalled wubi. Installed ubuntu in former recovery partition. So far it seems to work! Thanks for all the help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online