1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] dos program and xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Barlen, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

Is it possible to use a DOS program with Windows XP? I tried to use a DOS program I had loaded into XP and got nothing but a blank screen after a long delay.
    If possible, how???
    Barlen

2. Dan O

Dan O

It depend on the application, which is tied mainly how it tries to access the PC resources. What is the application you tried and how did you install and try to run it?

3. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

Dan O,
    The program is PFS Professional File, a simple database program made by Software Publishing Company, about 1982-86. The disk I have (51/4") states version 1.0, with a date of 1986.
    I have this program on my desktop which has the Windows 98 SE operating system and though I can't use the mouse, all works well with the keyboard.
    I copied the program from my desktop, to a 3 1/2 disk and then copied that to my program folder in XP. It was copied, all files present. When clicking the exec file, I get only a blank screen.
    I hope this information is of help to you.

4. Trboy13

Trboy13

I'm not sure if it will do anything, but if you right click on the exe file or a shortcut to the program, and then go to the compatibility tab, you could try to change the compatibility to win95. Don't know if it will do anything, but its worth a try.

5. Dan O

Dan O

Like Trboy13 suggested, I also recommend you create a shortcut for it. One way to do it is use Windows Explorer, right click the .exe or .com file, select Send to Desktop (create shortcut). Then right click the shortcut and select Properties. If you know the program requirements you can set them, such as EMS Memory. If not you will need to experiment. Good luck.

6. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

Trboy13 and Dan O,
    It worked like a charm. I hadn't noticed that there was a compatability tab. Still can't use the mouse, but I don't have to contend with moving 800+ recipes that my wife has accomulated.
    For your information, I am designating this as a Windows 95 program. -Also am getting a litle more used to working with xp and maybe it's not so bad after all.
    thanks again for your input.
    Barlen

7. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome and thanks for letting us know you got it working.

If you would like to use a mouse you could add it to AUTOEXEC.NT which is used to initialize the MS-DOS environment unless a different startup file is specified in an application's PIF.

AUTOEXEC.NT is located in Windows\System32 folder. You need to locate an old mouse driver, such as mouse.exe or mouse.com, and copy it to the Windows\System32 folder. You can edit AUTOEXEC.NT Notepad to execute the mouse driver.

8. Barlen

Barlen Thread Starter

DanO,
    Thanks for the info on trying to use a mouse. I will be trying it and think I know where I can copy a mouse.exe file from. If it works on one computer,it should work on another.
    My wife has gotten comfortable with using the keyboard (since 1986!) so it isn't a major priority.
    If nothing else, I continue to learn more of the intricacies of the windows environment.
    Barlen

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!