1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Double click will not open 'Computee'.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MikE12, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikE12

MikE12 Thread Starter

Hello,Over the last week or so I have encountered a problem which I have been unable to solve.

I use a seperate SDD on which I play DCS World Games .Win7 is also on that disk as part of a dual boot but here it only serves to operate the games and ancilliaries.

I have found that when clicking on 'Computer' in the Start Menu or the icon on Desktop ; there is no response and I cannot gain access to computer on on that disk.

I have run various malware, anti virus programs but all seems clear . I have formatted and reinstalled Win7 and the games from DCS. At first all was well but the problem has returned . I should have mentioned that last week the problen extended to 'Task Manager' ans 'Waste Basket' ; neither would open to a double click.

The fact that the problem has returned makes me believe that a virus is high on the list of suspects but I cannot locate it.

Could you please help me with this?

Mike

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 2814 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512, 512 Mb x2
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 145188 MB, Free - 81091 MB; D: Total - 99 MB, Free - 61 MB; E: Total - 122001 MB, Free - 74969 MB; J: Total - 140974 MB, Free - 80797 MB;
    Motherboard: EVGA, 132-CK-NF79
    Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated and Enabled

2. hssonline

hssonline

try safe mode and let me know what happens.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Control Panel > Mouse > Double Click Speed and test double clicking the mouse, see if that test folder opens. Maybe its a problem with your mouse.

4. MikE12

MikE12 Thread Starter

Hello, Thanks for the speedy reply.

I tried safe mode as per your suggestion and things worked quite normally

Can you advise the next move please?

Thanks
    Mike

5. MikE12

MikE12 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion but the mouse setup is as it should be
    Thanks
    Mike

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try a Clean Boot troubleshooting procedure in order to isolate the offending program blocking those applications in Normal Mode. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

7. hssonline

hssonline

follow the steps as mention by Phantom010 above and please suggest.

8. MikE12

MikE12 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I ran a two stage clean boot as advised but found nothing of concern.

I now find that not only does 'Computer' not respond correctly to double clicks, but nor does anything listed above 'Computer' on the Start menu.

What now happens is that when I double click on any such item i.e Computer,Games, Music,Documents,Libraries and my user folder, they form minature unreadable and unuseable pages along the task bar.

Those items listed below ' Computer' that is Control Panel , Devices etc, still act normally.

Thanks for the time you are taking with this one. Without your help it is quite beyond me.

Mike

9. MikE12

MikE12 Thread Starter

Hello.

I have solved the problem thro' pure chance.

I ran 'Troubleshooter'-- Hardware ----Configure a device (all of which I had done before) and the program found a device which had not been configured correctly --it didn't say which one.

The problem now seems solved .

I thank you very much indeed for your help
    Mike

10. hssonline

hssonline

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065539