1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Double entries for display adapter & monitor in device manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ozegirl, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Hi,

I have just found a double entry for the Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics controller and the Plug & Play monitor in Device Manager on my Windows XP SP3 machine.

I suspect that there should only be one entry and the other thing is that the computer is very slow - checking the resources tab on the graphics driver shows both entries are using different memory resources. One entry has a full record of memory resources, IRQ, I/O range listed. The other entry has two memory resources only listed.

The question is: is it safe for me to remove one of these entries, however, since they are different can I delete both and have windows redetect and install one correct entry?

I'm assuming Windows will detect this adapter - how do I know it will as opposed to having to install it myself?

Surely the Plug and play monitor is a duplicate entry? This is a laptop and there is so second monitor in use.

Many thanks for any help

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That depends. If it is using the default Windows driver, removing and rebooting will reinstall. But if you have updated, then you may need to install it manually. But chances are that you can remove them safely either way.

Do you have a TV-out socket on the graphics card? If so, then that is what the second one is for. And if you have another monitor connector, it is that and is normal.

If there is no error in Device manager, then you are probably infected if the machine is slow and the driver has nothing to do with it.

3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Thanks yes you were right - there is an extra monitor port and also a tv out.
    Have already checked for spyware etc. Just wondered if the double up was significant, as quite often a double up in device manager can cause problems.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

5. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

Have done - was away for a few days, just got back :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!