1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Downgrading OP SYS from WIN7 to WINxp on Lenovo PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noru, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noru

noru Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2039 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 148695 MB, Free - 108980 MB; D: Total - 148687 MB, Free - 116842 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 09F0h
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

The data above is my operating PC. I have installed virtual XP, but since this PC is 64 bit, the virtual XP does not work. I had another win7 pc, a Lenovo M57 small size desktop. I thought that it would be a simple matter to wipe the disk, and install WINXP Pro (a legal copy). The installation went easy and now I have XP on the old win7 PC. The PC does not have a working Ethernet system. I cannot log onto the internet with the Lenovo. Looking at Lenovo shows driver downloads for it for WIN7 and above, no WINxp.

Lenovo offers a "Lenovo USB to Ethernet adapter" for one of their tablets. Do you think that adapter would work in my PC? I cannot get an answer from Lenovo. Can you suggest anything else? Any help would be most appreciated.

noru

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm going to assume you have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M57 desktop.

The Intel chipset, the ATI and Intel graphics(depending on which one your desktop has), the ADI SoundMAX audio, and the Intel ethernet all have Windows XP 32-bit drivers listed. (y)

------------------------------------------------------------

3. noru

noru Thread Starter

Yes, I am aware of these, but don't need them. I need drivers for XP 32 bit Ethernet system. When I do a check on system, Ethernet is lit up in yellow letting me know that it doesn't work with the XP drivers.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the Device Manager.

Expand the Network Adapters heading.

What's the exact description(s) listed there?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Are there any entries in the Device Manager with a yellow ? or ! next to them?

If there is, advise what their exact name(s) is.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It looks like you've gone off-line.

I'm getting ready to shut down the rest of the day, so I'll check back here in the morning.

This Windows XP 32-bit ethernet driver (PRO2K3XP_32.exe) may work for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. noru

noru Thread Starter

Frank, I couldn't log on today with the same password used yesterday. Finally got it working. When I clicked on system, the item labeled "Other devices" was in yellow. When I clicked on other device to list them, I got the following list all in yellow: Ethernet controller, PCI device, PCI serial Port, PCX simple controller, SM buss controller, unknown device, video controller (VGA compatible). I looked at the list of drivers from Lenovo that you referred me to. It seems I originally didn't see the note at the bottom, "SEE ALL". When I checked it, I found 3 Ethernet drivers for XP. I downloaded all of them. The third one I tried worked, at least in part.

When looking at system ETHERNET CONTROLLER comes up inblack and wasn't in the above listing. The remaining items are still yellow. I haven't had time to check it out, but I can now get on the internet.

Thank you so much for your help.

Norman

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    All those yellowed entries indicate the driver isn't installed for them.

Double-click each one to open its properties window, then click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Ids" from the list.

One or more strings with VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it will be present.

Advise what the 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

Those codes will identify those devices so their drivers can be located.

-------------------------------------------------------

(y)

-------------------------------------------------------

8. noru

noru Thread Starter

Man, the system would not let me copy and paste. I have tried to make double certain that I have the correct figures.

PCI DEVICE VEN_8086 DEV_298E

PCI SERIAL PORT VEN_8086 DEV_29B7

PCI SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER VEN_8086 DEV_29B4

SM BUS CONTROLLER VEN_8086 DEV_2930

UNKNOWN DEVICE VEN_ACPI\WEC1000\1

VIDEO CONTROLLER (VGA COMPATIBLE) VEN_8086 DEV_29B2

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    PCI DEVICE VEN_8086 DEV_298E

Not found.
    Vendor code 8086 is for an Intel device.
    You probably made a typo in the device code.

PCI SERIAL PORT VEN_8086 DEV_29B7

Intel Serial Over LAN

PCI SIMPLE COMMUNICATION CONTROLLER VEN_8086 DEV_29B4

Intel Management Engine

SM BUS CONTROLLER VEN_8086 DEV_2930

Intel ICH9 Family SMBus Controller

UNKNOWN DEVICE VEN_ACPI\WEC1000\1

N/A

VIDEO CONTROLLER (VGA COMPATIBLE) VEN_8086 DEV_29B2

Intel Q35 Express Chipset Family

You need to install this Intel chipset driver:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/pro...s-desktops/thinkcentre-m57/downloads/DS014949
    (topmost file)

You need to install this Intel graphics driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Media-Accelerator-Driver-for-Windows-XP-exe-

Install the chipset driver first, then restart, then install the graphics driver, then restart again.

10. noru

noru Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help. Your instructions were clear and concise. I doubt if I would have tried this project if I had known the problems I would have. I haven't had time to check everything out yet but there is one little problem that I am aware of.

Example: I pull up Walmart and get a screen with several options such as walmart.com
    When I click on the option the page starts to load but never completes.

I will try several other url's and see if they work.

Again, Thanks a million.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Doing a clean install of Windows XP and getting it up-to-date and getting all devices working isn't a difficult process if you know what you're doing.

I've done it over 100 times over the years and have developed procedures and steps that make the process easier and less time-consuming.

My install guide in the "Windows XP" section should help you.

12. noru

noru Thread Starter

Frank, I am not a novice, but not an expert. I have always built my own PC's and have installed op systems dozens of times. I have built pc's for my grandkids twice and have never had a commercial pc until this last year. I bought an HP "refurbished" win 7 pro 64 bit, but I missed my old XP's so much that I decided to try installing virtual XP on the HP. It just wouldn't do what I needed. Too many 32 bit XP programs would not work on the Win 7 PC. That is when I decided to do what I just went through.. I have installed so many systems that I couldn't count and had almost no problems with them. I believe two things were against me on this. The XP operating system installed easily without a glitch, but for the PC's that I built I had a cd that had all the drivers on it. I had no such driver for the Lenovo. As I said, I had two things against me. My age is 88 and I forgot that I needed drivers for the MB. I normally got these with the MB I used. Sorry, just a matter of forgetfulness. After installing the drivers you listed, only one of the yellow icons was satisfied. I will keep trying. Again, thanks for everything. I will mark this as complete because I think it is useable right now.

Norman

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    My refurbished Dell OptiPlex 755 desktop came with Windows 7 32-bit, but I downgraded it to Windows XP.

Before I started, I downloaded and burned all the necessary Windows XP drivers (chipset, graphics, audio, ethernet) to a disc.

Between installing Windows XP and the drivers and the 100+ post-SP3 updates and the necessary programs and add-ons, it took about 6 hours.

Both of my refurbished Dell OptiPlex 780 desktops also came with Windows 7 32-bit, but I installed Windows XP SP3 in them in virtual mode.

----------------------------------------------------------

My apologies if I offended you by talking beneath your computer knowledge.

We have no way of knowing how knowledgeable a person is, and sometimes their comments lead us to believe they're newbies/novices.

----------------------------------------------------------

14. noru

noru Thread Starter

Please, no offense taken. I was complaining about my own actions. I knew how to get the drivers and save them and didn't do it. I might just go back and install the win 7 as it came (the restore part is still intact on the HD). I will have to re remember how to back up all the drivers, but that means I learn something new again, and I try to learn something new each day. Thanks again.

15. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm always learning something new here. You're welcome. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!