1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Downgrading to Windows 7 Error

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Robsy128, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

Hey all :)

I recently bought a PC on behalf of work, believing it to be Windows 7 and it turned out to be Windows 8. A bit annoyed, I ordered a Windows 7 Professional disc and am now trying to downgrade the PC. However, after pressing 'Install Now' on the installation Window and selecting 'Update the files now', I receive the error:

"Windows could not update the installation files. To install Windows, close Setup and restart the installation. Error code 0x0".

I did a Google search to see if I could fix this error, or if anyone had any errors like it, and I came across this:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...code-0x0/3d5b8724-889a-4c68-8aba-3eb2f78d1c1f

I've uninstalled all of the security software on the PC, made sure the PC was updated fully, and also tried checking the hard drive with chkdsk. However, when trying this, the computer got stuck at 27% for over half an hour, and I Googled that as well and found out that there could be a problem with the hard drive, even though it's a brand new PC fresh out of the box. Windows 8 runs perfectly, but I really need Windows 7 to comply with everything else in the office.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There are a number of questions I need to ask you before I can help you
    Please read this FIRST

There are a number of considerations. I have tried to place them in order of importance

1. If this goes wrong you will get no help whatsoever from the OEM eg Dell HP Toshiba etc - at least not meaningful free help under any warrantry
    I doubt if you wil get any from the supplier - if not purchased direct

2. You must before you even contemplate it ensure you have the means to reinstall 8 in the form you wish - in case it goes wrong.
    That maybe the installation disc
    A full system image
    but NOT the recovery partition on the Hard drive as that will be wiped - formatted

3. If it is NOT 64 bit Windows it cannot be installed in UEFI system as that uses what is known as GPT partitioning and 32 bit Windows 7 cannot boot from a GPT partitioned drive. Therefore it has to be installed in what is known as legacy mode - the old traditional BIOS
    The image cannot then be reinstalled to that drive if you get that far, as the drive must be formatted GPT
    and the UEFI must be reconfigured before that can occur and windows 8 can be reinstalled.

4. If it is 64 bit windows 7 then you have the problem of getting a boot from the DVD as the Secure boot in 8 will not allow that
    YOU should have an entry, after you have disabled secure boot which will allow the boot from the DVD
    HOWEVER that depends on what the DVD is

5. YOU MUST CHECK before you proceed that WIndows 7 drivers are available for that computer
    Some OEMS have stated that they will not be providing 7 drivers for Windows 8 computers on which it is sold pre installed

That should have given you enough information to consider carefully your position.

It is TOO LATE NOW for you but if you do not mind - for anyone reading the post who may be thinking of buying a new computer with Windows 8
    UNLESS you are convinced 8 is what you want
    BUY with 7 while they are still available
    The upgrade to 8 is if you buy with 7 pre installed ONLY £14.99 from Microsoft
    YOU MUST download it before February but you DO NOT have to install it then and the upgrade to 8 is cheaper than buying 7 and EASIER than trying to replace 8 with 7.

3. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

I have 64-bit Windows 8 installed on the machine and 64-bit Windows 7 which I am trying to install...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you boot to the Windows 7 DVD? It sounds kinda like you are trying to run Setup from within Windows 8.

5. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

I was, which is obviously incorrect and I will never do that again :p

I disabled secure boot as that prevented me from booting from the CD but now I have a different problem. I boot from the CD/DVD and it starts to load the Windows files. Then the 'Starting Windows' screen comes up, but the orbs stop turning and a red bar comes across the top of the screen. Well, it's red with a few smudged white lines... it's almost like when you print something and you've rubbed your finger against the paper to rub some of the ink off. It just freezes completely, After pressing the power button, the PC immediately switches off.

6. Macboatmaster

Your reply on your post three is a very short response to my detailed reply on 2

Have you checked if drivers are available for 7 on that computer see para numbered 5
    Have you considered paragraphs 1 and 2

What is the 7 dvd you have purchased and where from, is it the full install disc or have you by any chance made the mistake of purchasing an upgrade disc

Your first error is covered in my para 4

7. Macboatmaster

I have posted separately in case you have already read my last
    What is the MAKE and full model of the computer you have bought and which windows 8 is it please

On windows 8 if you can still get in press the windows key - on the bottom right of the screen left click on the minimize, right click same place, click all applications, on windows system heading, right click computer and on bottom of screen click properties - it will tell you there

8. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

9. Macboatmaster

Too late now but
    Some people it would appear have bought a laptop with Windows 8 Professional installed, decided they did not like it and then BOUGHT Windows 7 to install

This may have been an unnecessary cost, as Windows 8 professional comes with downgrade rights to Windows 7 at NO EXTRA COST

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=QtySYGkzVh7

You do not need to purchase Windows 7, you can legally use a previously licensed edition and using the telephone activation service, as online activation will fail, you will be granted a one-time activation code.

This free of charge downgrade right only applies to Windows 8 professional.

Advisable to have ready sata driver and network driver.
    ARE you just taking the chance on this - of it working - have you ensured you can get back to 8 if it goes wrong.

Have you created the full image and repair disc
    As if this goes pear shaped - where pray are you going from there, as I do not think you have a W8 installation disc do you?

10. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

Unfortunately, my IT contact in Glasgow ordered the PC and he didn't realize it was Windows 8 until I told him.

I do not have a Windows 8 disc... and I still have the problem of the red bar appearing at the beginning of the Windows 7 installation.

11. Macboatmaster

I think you may in spite of the above which is too late for you now - be going about this the wrong way
    From HP for YOUR computer

For just $5 extra that computer was available from the supplier with windows 8 pro installed and downgrade to windows 7
    For products with the Windows 7 Professional downgrade:
    This system is preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional software and also comes with a license and media for Windows 8 Pro software. You may only use one version of the Windows software at a time. Switching between versions will require you to uninstall one version and install the other version. You must back up all data (files, photos, etc.) before uninstalling and installing operating systems to avoid loss of your data.

Personally I would spk to HP but if you want to proceed I will guide you

12. Robsy128

Robsy128 Thread Starter

Well, it's a little too late now as I already have the PC with Windows 8 Pro :p

I think we're getting sidetracked anyway.
    The issue I'm having is that the Windows 7 installation freezes when it begins, and a red bar appears at the very top of the screen. I understand that I should make a backup of the Windows 8 operating system just in case the entire thing decides to blow up in my face.

13. Macboatmaster

I cannot agree. With respect if I proceeded without asking these questions and you then found out that the computer WAS supplied with Windows 8 pro AND downgrade rights from the HP Quick Restore discs, you would I suggest NOT be very impressed.

When you say a BACKUP - it is a complete image you need - not a mere backup
    As once you proceed you will NOT be able to recover Windows 8 from the recovery partition and you do not have the disc to install it - therefore, as you do not have the product key either - as that is embedded in the firmware UEFI chip, you are not going back without that FULL image and the repair disc

HAVE YOU DONE THAT? please

14. Macboatmaster

1. For when you come back to the topic - if you do
    IN windows 8 go control panel and click the entry Windows 7 file recovery - it is strangely named, but that is the backup options and system image options as it was in 7.

See my screenshot

2. There you will find the create image and the repair disc
    Make that to an external hard drive - the image

3. PLEASE NOTE I have no idea what facilities are provided by HP on that computer for making recovery media, but there MOST CERTAINLY will be one and I suggest you check.
    It will do no harm to have both the created image and the recovery media from the HP process

4. When you have that, depending on the setup of the computer, I would give serious consideration to
    installing 7 on a separate hard drive
    I presume as you say - on behalf of work and my IT contact in Glasgow - that the cost of a hard drive is not an issue.

5. If however you wish to proceed and AT YOUR OWN risk, please do not be annoyed by that, but the reputation of the site and my own personal feelings make it necessary to stress that this is NOT a straightforward - guaranteed success - operation
    FOLLOW this

A. Disable secure boot
    B. Select boot device as the UEFI DVD drive there will be two entries one for the UEFI DVD and the other for the same hardware without the UEFI prefix
    C. INSERT the Windows 7 DVD
    D. Reboot
    It should work

6. If it does not
    DISABLE secure boot
    Enable CSM - Compatibility Support Module - set Auto if that is a choice
    Select boot device - again as UEFI
    and try again

7. If that does not work
    disable secure boot
    enable legacy boot
    select ATAPI DVD or if that is not the listing
    then whatever it is called but NOT the UEFI one
    Insert the DVD
    reboot

Attached Files:

15. Macboatmaster

I have just read one of your previous topics
    THIS ONE
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1085128-power-supply-spark.html

There is NO NICE way to say this, but my advice is this
    Depending on what the arrangement of this is:
    and the implications to YOU if your attempt to install 7 goes wrong - having read your other topic on the PSU and what happened there, my best advice is to consider carefully your ability to complete this task and the wisdom of seeking more direct assistance than can be offered in the medium of an online forum.

As I said - there is no nice way to say it, but I can only offer my best advice.
    Only you of course can decide.
    If it was your own computer - at least if it goes wrong there is presumably no one involved except you
    I suppose as I say it depends on what - on behalf of work implications are.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice