Solved: Download bandwith cap program??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

davezachc

Thread Starter
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
19
As the title says, is there any program I can download to limit the download speed per computer or any specific one? Cause my problem here is that my sister downloads tons of episodic shows and she takes up a lot of speed when downloading. Somehow, my home router will give her 70% of the bandwith and obviously, I'll be getting the other 30%. I know it may sound like a fair split but I'm not satisfied. My router is an Aztech DSL605EW. I've searched online elsewhere and found out that my router doesn't have its own software to limit or cap the speeds of any computer. The only thing I can do is totally block off her traffic and obviously, that ain't fair for her..besides, if she finds out that her download stopped, life is gonna be worse that it is already for me. Therefore, can anyone recommend me or direct me to a free software that can limit/cap my sister's mad download spree so that I can have a fair share of the bandwith?
 

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
19,786
You are not going to find anything free to do that.
For $30 you can install NetLimiter Pro on her computer.
 

davezachc

Thread Starter
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
19
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I am looking for a program that can control the speed of the downloads of one computer using another computer to do it. Do you have any programs in mind? Sorry if I forgot to put this up in the first post. =)
 

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
19,786
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I am looking for a program that can control the speed of the downloads of one computer using another computer to do it. Do you have any programs in mind? Sorry if I forgot to put this up in the first post. =)
How do you think that is going to happen without some type of software on her PC. You can't magically control the packets coming out of her computer.

You basically have two options.

1) You buy a gateway device like a router that has this functionality or a server with this functionality.
2) You install software on the computer and control the software remotely which Netlimiter Pro can do. You can remotely administer the software from you pc.

Either way this isn't going to be free.
 

davezachc

Thread Starter
Joined
Nov 6, 2009
Messages
19
Okay okay. Sorry. My bad. I ain't a computer expert. Thanks for the help anyways. I'll look into it.
 
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Top