1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Download problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bruinator, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

hi, Whenever I d/l a file it stops at some point during the d/l. I tried using firefox or IE and neither downloader work. What would cause this and how do I fix it, please?

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

We need specific information to help answer your question so would you please repost this with appropriate answers to the questions that pertain to your problem, so we can better help you fix your problem quickly.

Computer: Brand Name & Model #

Age of system and relevant components if different :

CPU: Brand, speed

Ram: Type, amount, speed

Operating system: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, XP Home, XP Pro, Vista or Other

Do you run Anti-Virus software: Brand Name, version #, is it up to date?

For Video or Graphic problems:

Video Card: Brand Name, type, speed, Chipset, driver version and date

Video settings: resolution, advanced settings

For Internet problems:

Modem: Brand name and date of driver

Type connection: dial-up, cable, sat/DSL, other

Browser: IE, Netscape, Firefox, Sea Monkey and version #

For Network problems:

LAN or ethernet card(s) or adapters: Brand, # of cards

Router: Brand name, type

# machines on network

Network settings and IP configuration

Please state your specific problem and when it started

Did you change anything, install any hardware or software before the problem started?

List any recently installed software

List software running in background ie: anti-virus program, mail programs, backup software.
    (Run,msconfig,ok,startup) and what is checked

Any power disruption or incomplete shutdowns

Failed Scandisk/chkdsk or defrag attempts

Use of any “tune-up” utilities, registry utilities, system diagnostics, other third party utility software

Recent downloaded software

This information may be of critical importance in locating and correcting the source of your problem. Please note any additional information or detail about the problem that may be of value in our assessment of the problem.

Thank you.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You already mentioned that you are using IE and Firefox so that information is provided. Not sure what the graphics card would have to do with anything related to this problem.

So now back to the issue. Does the computer stop download at any file? Large or small? Is it the same type of file being downloaded that has problems or all file types (.zip, .exe, etc.)

4. bruinator

Done

5. bruinator

Bob, they vary....so far I am positive of .rar files. I will try others.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Wow very odd for what you are running. Are you running any download accellerator programs by any chance as many sites are freaking out over those things and causing the downloads to end prematurely.

7. dogged

dogged

where are you downloading from and have you considered that maybe your anti-virus software is stopping the download? also, does your internet dc you randomly or how good is the connection? any error messages pop up or messages at all pop up? how many windows do you have open during this downloading?

8. bruinator

nope, no DA...any other ideas?

9. bruinator

My internet is verizon...I assume very reputable. Not many windows opened at all. Any ideas?

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

How old is the Linksys router? How about the nic card. This is beginning to feel like hardware issue and I have had some issues lately with onboard nic cards where I no longer rely on them and use only Intel Pro 1000 cards instead.

11. dogged

dogged

when was the last time you ran a thorough virus and spyware scan? also, what was the last thing or what were you doing before your downloads started halting? i know the questions seem unneeded but sometimes the answer to one can lead to a solution or atleast a better theory on how to fix the problem. so forgive me if my questions sound stupid or non-related to the issue at hand. :)

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Of course the limitation of on-line scans is that you have to be on-line to do them. If you are going to take that route, at least boot to safe mode with networking support. This can help decrease the possibility of spyware loading, which would make them more difficult to remove. Generally I like the scans where you can install the program on the computer, get the updates, boot to safe mode without networking support and do the scan.

14. dogged

dogged

always always do your deep scans or serious scans you always update the software your going to use then you physically unplug your machine from the internet then you boot into safe mode (without networking) and run your scans. keep running until they all find nothing. i use the freeware avg antivirus and antispyware and spybot search and destroy.

15. bruinator

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650392

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice