1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Download Speed Fast One Laptop Slow Other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Teamsasky, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Teamsasky

Teamsasky Thread Starter

Hello all,

Have been searching for days trying to figure my problem but can't find the solution.

ISP provides us with 20 mb/s download speed. Both [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Toshiba [COLOR=blue !important]laptops[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] used to be able to attain this but after reinstalling windows xp on this laptop, it can only achieve 8mb/s. The other laptop will get 20 mb/s whether connected wired or wireless. For the life of me cannot figure what has changed. I have installed all windows updates including SP3 and updated all drivers via Toshiba and Intel websites. It uses the Intel 3945b/g network card and the router is a motorola sbg 6580.

Here is what I have done so far:
    Connecting wired will achieve 20mb/s so it has something to do with the wireless setup.
    Have tried connecting to router with WPA, WPA2, and no encryption but makes no difference.
    Testing right beside the router or 30ft away makes no difference.
    Have uninstalled/reinstalled network card but made no difference

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

What wireless utility are you using? Are you sure no other one is running?

3. Teamsasky

Teamsasky Thread Starter

I downloaded and installed the latest driver from Toshiba. Intel had an updated driver that I installed yesterday. There was no difference in speed with either driver.

I am using the windows default wireless utility. I had installed the Intel wireless utility but found it to be a PIA so I uninstalled it. There is no other utility program running

4. Teamsasky

Teamsasky Thread Starter

I have tried running the speed test using a different browser.
    I also ran a speed test while running in safe mode
    No luck

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What adapter? The 2200BG usually works better with the Intel Proset utility.

You can try TCP Optimizer.

6. Teamsasky

Teamsasky Thread Starter

Holy $#!T. I ran the optimizer, selected my connection speed(55mb/s), checked modify all network adapters, checked optimal settings, and hit apply. Rebooted computer, ran speed test and voila, download speed 20mb/s!!!
    I have no idea what it changed but it worked! Thank you very much! Appreciate it!
    Do you know what that changes just for future reference?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Haven't used that tool for quite awhile. Just before you give it the OK to make changes I believe it shows what will be changed. I also think that it saves the original settings, so maybe you can compare the changed with the old. But unless you know a lot more low level details about networking than I do and than most people do they won't have much meaning.

You're welcome. :)

8. willens

willens

I have 3 network computers, all configured similarly and all with similar processing speeds. All 3 downloaded at ~ 25 MH until end of January, now one downloads at 8 MH, others still at 25 MH. Where is this "optimize" function you refer to?

All run Windows 8, doesn't make any difference if "slow" download machine is on WI-FI or wired Internet connection.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice