1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Download Speed

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Deon555, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deon555

Deon555 Thread Starter

I have a 56Kmodem. When i download things though, the download rate is low, i mean real low. we're talking as low as 0.1K/sec. This is terrible!

Please help,

Thanks

Deon

2. chatterjee

chatterjee

Well,if you're a 56Kbps line you'll only get 7KBps (56/8=7) download speed theoritically.But in reality you get only 4-6 KBps speed.The first thing you have to do is that you should check if the telephone line is noisy.If it is,you will not get good speed.You have to ask your lineman to repair the line.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Deon:

Your computer should be getting a connection speed of 44,000 - 48,000 bps and a download speed of 5.0 - 5.5 Kb/sec, if everything is okay. Crappy phone lines is the biggest problem, even if you've got the modem drivers updated and have the connection tweaked.

If you've got the service available in your area and can afford the extra cost, you should seriously consider upgrading to high-speed cable.

Assuming that you're using Windows XP, you might want to take a look at this site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. gophersnake

gophersnake

Have you determined what the actual speed of your connection is when you get those slowdowns? I happen to live only a few blocks from some kind of phone company facility; that may be why my usual connection speed is 50,666 bps. Someone else I know lives way out in the boonies and is lucky to get over 20K. Once in a while when I dial a connection I apparently get a crappy line; the modem negotiation goes on longer and I end up with 33K or something. Once or twice I've even gotten 1200 bps!

More info on phone lines and modem speeds here:

Modem Central | 56K Modem Troubleshooting Guide

Checking Your Telephone Line

Modem Speed Test Page

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/448033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice