1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: download - timed out

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by queen8855, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. queen8855

queen8855 Thread Starter

I have tried seveal times to download SPYBOT S&D -- each time it starts to download and within seconds I get the message "timed out". It was also doing the same downloading WINUTILITIES - it finally did download for me. I am running win7 -Kaspersky - is my anti virus. I am a very confused novice!! Thank you in advance dor any suggestions.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Don't bother to download Spybot - Search & Destroy because there are better and more user-friendly ones.

What type of internet connection do you have?

--------------------------------------------------------

3. Mark1956

Mark1956

I'll second that, Spybot is not very highly rated. Use this instead SuperAntiSpyware

I would also avoid any third party software that claims to speed up your system and stay well away from Registry Optimisers as they can do more harm than good.

If you think your system is running slowly then post an HJT log and I am sure Flavallee will be happy to help to do a clean up for you. Follow this.

NOTE. For Windows 7 and Vista you must turn off the User Account Control to allow HJT to run correctly.
    For Vista go into Device Manager and type UAC in the search box, open UAC and change the settings. For Windows 7 click on Start and type UAC in the box and hit Enter, then move the slider all the way to the bottom and click on ok.
    Download and install HJT
    When the TrendMicro HJT install box appears, double click on the HJTInstall.exe. Click on Install.
    * It will be installed by default here: C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis.
    * A shortcut to the application will also be placed on your Desktop.
    * The program will open automatically after installation.
    * The folder HijackThis is where you will find the HJT logs that you save.
    * The first time you open HijackThis, check the Main Menu button at the bottom center. When the main menu appears check the box "Show this window when I start HijackThis".
    * Click on "Do a system scan and save logfile." When the log pops up in Notepad, copy and paste that file back here as a New Message in this forum.
    The use of HJT is purely for observation please do not try to fix anything with it or you may damage your system.

4. queen8855

queen8855 Thread Starter

Thank you so very much for the suggestions!!! I shall check these things out, once I recover from the holiday. Ha Ha Can you explain what is happening - and/or - why the message timed out happens?? Just curious - No one I know has any ideas.

5. Mark1956

Mark1956

There are quite a few things that can cause the time out on a connection, from a misconfigured or faulty router to an incomplete uninstall of an old Anti Virus program.

One very simple thing you could try is to completely disconnect all cables and power to the router for a few minutes then reconnect it.

Posting the HJT log may also give us some clues to work on.

See if disabling the firewall on your PC makes any difference. Does the router have a firewall as that might be causing the problem.

Is it a wireless or cable connection, if wireless try a cable connection and see if that works.

6. queen8855

queen8855 Thread Starter

Mark -- thanks for the info - I shall check out your suggestions just out of curiosity. However, I decided to stop fighting over Spybot. I downloaded "Superantispyware" without a problem. I think it is just as efficent and it runs much faster. Having done that I shall consider my issure resolved. Thanks to ALL - once again ya'll have been great. Merry Christmas and a fantastic New Year!!!

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your Welcome.

SuperAntiSpyware is rated higher than Spybot S&D so you are better protected by using it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice