1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] downloading problems on win 98 {unfinished setup}

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by thered, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thered

thered Thread Starter

when i have attempted to download IE5.5, i get the message "a previous program installation was never completed. you need to restart your computer to complete that installation before running internet net explorer setup. setup will now close." i read recently where another person had the same problem and it was suggested to her to download 5.01 instead of 5.5, as 5.5 has bugs and problems. i tried to download 5.01 and received the same message listed above. unfortunately, the dsl provider that i just signed up with, requires that i have IE5.5. please help!!!

thanks,

thered

2. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Go to find files and do a search for wininit.ini. Rename it to wininit.old I am not sure whether or not you need to reboot.

Be careful. There is a file named wininit.exe and this is needed to start Windows. Do not delete this by mistake.

3. tosim33

tosim33

I'm running v5.5 with WIN98SE and have had absolutely no problems with it.

4. thered

thered Thread Starter

thanks mosaic1, but no go. i got a bit frustrated and had to throw my computer out the fifteenth story window, but i ran down and caught it in time. any other suggestions? i get the same error message as originally stated.

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Did you find a wininit.ini?
    Try this . Boot the computer and hold the CTRL Button until you get the boot menu. Choose Command Prompt Only.
    At the C:\>
    type wininit.exe and press enter
    At the next prompt type exit to start windows.
    See if that works. Also, check again to be sure wininit.ini is gone.

Delete Windows\Temp and your Temporary Internet Files.

6. thered

thered Thread Starter

you were absolutely right, wininit.ini was still there lurking. i deleted it and everything went smoothly with the download of IE5.5. thanks for all of your assistance!

7. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

thered,
    You're welcome. Thanks for posting back. Happy Holidays.

Mo

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice