1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: downloads will not complete

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Puff15, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff15

Puff15 Thread Starter

My operating system is windows xp.
    I had a problem with Norton 2005 IS corrupting some files. It affected both
    browsers, IE 6.0 and Netscape so that I could not get anywhere online. I'm not sure
    if the downloading and video problems are related. Anyway, Norton told me
    what to do to get back on the internet but said I had to upgrade to 2008. I
    had just renewed my subscription last month to the tune of $53. and now they
    wanted me to upgrade at an additional cost of $70.+ I decided against that
    and want to go with Verizon IS, however now I can't get software downloads to
    complete and if I want to watch a music video, say on you tube, the video
    stops after one or two minutes. If I push the slider, sometimes it will
    continue, sometimes not. I even tried to download the verizon pc checkup
    tool, and it would not complete. I successfully downloaded a free download manager but that has only worked on some downloads. When IE is downloading, the speed starts
    fast but continues to slow down one number at a time until it finally just stops. Now I have completely uninstalled Norton so that I can install Verizon, so my pc is
    unprotected. And that's another thing, everytime I try to get to an order page from Verizon website, the page will not load. Could it be that Norton is somehow sabotaging the orders for Verizon internet security suite? (Just a thought.) The same thing happens when I use my antiquated backup laptop to access Verizon. Please help. Thanks in advance.
    Puff15

2. Puff15

Puff15 Thread Starter

My problem is solved. Today I tried to download free anti-virus software on my antiquated laptop and I got the same downloading problem. Then only I realized it had to be either Norton or Verizon as they are the only common software programs installed on my desktop and laptop. After about three hours of sharing my computer with Verizon tech support, the agent told me it had to be some improper setting on my desktop. I told him that could not be possible as the desktop is HP and the laptop is Compaq. Only then did I realize it had to be Verizon. I disconnected my recently acquired router and connected the modem directly to the computer and lo and behold...problem solved. So there is some compatibility issue between my Belkin router and Verizon dsl connection. Hope this helps someone else.
    Puff15

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice