1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dr. Watson is blocking my Automatic Windows Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Verimeilee, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Verimeilee

Verimeilee Thread Starter

I have Automatic Windows Updates as an "Active" option on the security center, but i'm not warned when new updates are available, the icon on the right down corner doesn't show on the toolbar. And when i download the updates mannualy from the site, when installing them i get a message saying Dr. Watson blocked it for being potencial harming material for the system.

2. Verimeilee

Can't anyone help me? :(

3. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

"Dr. Watson" is considered useless by a number of knowledgeable folks here at TSG. A while back there was a posting with instructions for turning 'Watson' off. Here they are as I copied them:

You can kill Dr.Watson anytime you want to. Here are two ways to disable Dr. Watson for Windows XP
    1)
    Start/Run Type: regedit OK
    Navigate to

Hkey_local_machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current Version/Aedebug

Click on and edit the debugger value delete the text in the popup box referring to Dr. Watson followed by some values which look like: drwtsn32 -p %ld -e %ld -g

Click on OK

Dr. Watson is now disabled

2)

Disabling Dr. Watson via the GUI Interface:

Start/Run Type: drwtsn32.exe

Clear all check marks from Options boxes.
    - - - - - - - - -
    I would initially use the second approach, since going into the Registry demands very careful attention to detail and one misstep can be disasterous.

{redoak}

4. Verimeilee

Disabling Dr. Watson won't get me into trouble? Forgive my question but when it comes to computers i only know a bit more than the basics :)

5. redoak

I do not believe anything untoward will occur if you turn "Dr. Watson" off. I have done that "for many a moon." As I mentioned, knowledgeable folks here at TSG consider 'Watson' useless and it takes up computer resources with no advantage.

You could always reverse the steps taken now, if you decide there is reason to reactivate 'Watson.' Don't use the first method that involves going into the Registry.

{redoak}

6. Verimeilee

OK. Thanks :)

7. Verimeilee

had to go into the registry, the easier one wasn't enough. i guess it went all ok though :)
    thanks again :)

8. redoak

You are very welcome. Glad to be of help.
    {redoak}

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice