1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Drag & Drop + Moving Windows changed after re-Installation of Windows (Regest

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmtdot, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmtdot

jmtdot Thread Starter

So I just reformatted my computer with Windows XP SP3 and some minor issue is really bugging me. I've seen other computers before like this, but this is the first time this has happened to me. First off, I think the two problems are related, but whatever, the first is a drag & drop issue. Anytime in the explorer windows when I click and drag (whether selecting files or not) it no longer appears as a lightly colored box, and instead a gray box with nothing but an outline of the area selected. When I select more than one file and begin to drag them, they no longer appear as semi-invisible files, and now just are gray outlined boxes. When I move or expand/minimize a window, it doesn't show the window moving, just a gray outlined box moving where the window would be. Of course when you let go of the click, everything is as it should be, but it's just something irritating me at the moment after 10 years of usage.

I am pretty sure it all ties into each other as the same issue, most likely a registry thing, but thanks to anyone who can let me know what to do in order to get back to what it should look like. I wish I could better describe it as I know it was a little hard for a real accurate description. So basically, a lot of the maneuvers that should be happening are looking more like an older version of Windows.

Whoever can help, thanks. If you want to know more info just ask.

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Right click the desktop and go into the Properties where you can change the Theme from Modified or Classic to Windows XP. Click Apply and OK then restart the system.

3. jmtdot

jmtdot Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, but that was not the problem. I had it on the XP theme, but changed the color scheme to Olive Green (so it appeared as Modified), when I went back to change it to Windows XP, and restarted, it didn't help.

I will post some pictures to further explain what i'm talking about.

This is what i'm seeing when I drag multiple files with the mouse:

[​IMG]

This is what i'm seeing when I select multiple files with the mouse:

[​IMG]

I know it's a small problem, but it's real irritating to suddenly have it change like that. Perhaps a video card problem? I did just get a new one though. Let me know if you have any clue on how to turn it back to the way it should be. Thanks.

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Right click My Computer, click Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Click the Settings button in the Performance section.
    On the Visual Effects tab, check the box for Show window contents while dragging.
    OK back to the Desktop.

5. jmtdot

jmtdot Thread Starter

Thanks so much for that! I completely forgot about looking there, it should have been obvious. Anyways, thanks again for the quick help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice