1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dreamweaver button

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by GUSMAN, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Hi
    I am creating a webpage using dreamweaver to assist with the code. I have purchased a template so I dont have to bother with actually making it.

In dreamweaver I have put a nice flash button on the page that I want to link to a forum I have created on the internet. A small wizard comes up so I have the option of naming the button etc, and also putting in a link that the button will go to. It doesnt work though and I have tried several options.

The template I downloaded has 3 webpages included with it, and If i make one of these the link, it goes to it straight away, but it doenst seem to like to go to an external link.

I have looked n the code of the button and cant see any a href = "" in there at all. even when i link to another template page

I just want the button to link to this forum.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Gus

2. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi Gus,
    You won't be able to see the link target in the code, so that's not unusual. Do any external links work for you or is the problem just with this button? If you haven't tried it yet, try just creating a link on one of the pages (no button or flash elements) and point it to an external website. Does that function properly?

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

yeah if I just do a text called "Link" for example and put the a href with it to link to this forum it goes straight to it.
    And if I use one of the buttons that came with the template, it also works fine
    It just dont seem to work when I use the flash button, which is a nice little touch

Cheers for the reply mate

Gus

4. DrP

DrP

I assumed you had to set the link for a Flash button using Flash itself? Is that not the case?

5. WendyM

WendyM Retired Trusted Advisor

When you set the button to an external link, what happens? Does it just not respond, or does it give an error message?

6. Rockn

Rockn

The URL becomes embedded in the swf file you create and you manually have to type in the address into the Link text box

Attached Files:

• dw1.jpg
      dw1.jpg
      File size:
      98.4 KB
      Views:
  7. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Thread Starter

Now That is an odd one. I have been copying and pasting the url as it is a bit long, but as soon as I typed it on it worked a treat.

Absolutely top notch advice, why is this then ?

Thanks to all for your replies

Cheers

Gus

8. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

My only guess would be that it's carrying along some invisible extra characters that Dreamweaver doesn't like. That is odd, though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!