1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Dreamweaver CS3 Cannot Access Files

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Arenzi, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arenzi

Arenzi Thread Starter

I am a new user to Dreamweaver, but have four years experience maintaining websites.

I was recently contacted by a friend about maintaining their website on a Dreamweaver platform. She provided me with the FTP protocols for the website. And I have entered the information in the server connection area. Dreamweaver says it is connected to the server and I can see all of the folders, but am unable to access the following files - conf, pd and stats. When I try to access these files I get "An FTP error occurred - cannot get remote folder information. Access denied. The file may not exist or there could be a permission problem..."

I accessed the FTP server through the internet and have access to all of the files there.

I have tried any number of settings within the server connection but am still unable to access these files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. ehymel

ehymel

Are you using the same username & pass in both Dreamweaver and "ftp through internet"?

3. Arenzi

Arenzi Thread Starter

Yes, I am using the same password. Is it possible that they are different? Dreamweaver does allow me to log in and shows all of the files that are shown online, it is just that I can access some and not others.

4. ehymel

ehymel

It's the username that should be the same.... the password just comes along for the ride :)

Definitely sounds like a permissions problem. Can you explain what you mean by "access through the internet"? If you mean by web browser, then that is likely the problem. The web user on the server probably has read access to the files, so you can *see* them in the browser. But your username does not have the same permissions. The server admin will have to fix that for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!