1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Drive Crashed - XP installed on 2nd Drive - Replaced Drive Won't Work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MtViewer, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MtViewer

MtViewer Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 running XP Service Pack 3. My original Western Digital Drive was dying. This drive was the boot drive and listed first in "setup" (after hitting F2) There was also a 300GB Maxtor SATA drive already installed which I used for data storage -- not bootable. It was listed 2nd in "setup".

Ultimately the WD Drive wouldn't boot. I cleared the 300GB Maxtor and did a clean install Win XP from manuf. disks WITHOUT removing the WD - Drive 1 first. (I had hoped to remove some data I hadn't yet back up :(

I tried rebooting BUT if both disks were set to "On" in "setup - F2" the system would NOT boot. If Disk 1 (WD Drive) was turned off the system would boot fine. I removed the "boot partition" on Disk 1 but if both drives were turn on - no go.

I have now replaced the defective drive (WD) with a Maxtor SATA II/300 (1 TB).

The boot drive (300GB Maxtor) is the "last" drive on the SATA interface cable and the new drive (1 TB) is on the second to last connector.
    Still, if the blank, new drive is turned on in "setup - F2" the system won't boot. If off, system boots. (I want to use the 1 TB drive solely for data storage).

It seems the SATA controller refuses to recognize the bootable drive if both drives are active. All I can think of is this is due to the 300GB being "Drive 2" in my original system and still listed that way in "setup". There is NO ability to choose one SATA drive over the other in Boot Order (F12).

If turned on, the 1TB drive is recognized in "setup" but the system won't boot.

Help is GREATLY appreciated --- cause I need some sleep. :)
    Tim :(

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I suggest you disconnect one drive at a time so that you have only one connected and use the drive manufacturer's testing utilities to test the drive. Make a note of the findings and get back to us.

This could be either a hardware (drive) failure, a corrupt partition table (software) or corrupt data problem (also software). This test will tell us which it is and we can proceed from there.

3. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

sata and ide / eide are two DIFFERENT cables,
    as i am understanding you,
    you speak of sata,
    sata only has ONE position on the cable,
    but you are saying '2nd to last' and 'last'
    to better clarify things,
    good pictures of different cables, so go here:
    http://pchardware4you.blogspot.com/2007/09/data-cables-using-in-pc.html
    and remember,
    this is a VOLUNTARY forum,
    people are here,
    because they want to share their knowledge to help others,
    also,
    no-one wants to give bad advice,
    and as i wrote above,
    your info IS somewhat 'jumbled'
    so don't get too impatient,

4. MtViewer

MtViewer Thread Starter

Replies are REALLY appreciated!!

1.) the position of the HDs on the SATA cable come from the Dell manual:

"Connect serial ATA hard drives to the system board connectors labeled SATA-0 or SATA-2.
    When you connect two IDE devices to a single IDE interface cable and configure them for the cable select setting, the device attached to the last connector on the interface cable is primary or the boot device (drive 0), and the device attached to the middle connector on the interface cable is the secondary device (drive 1).
    "

All 3 drives I mentioned are SATA drives. I have just switched out the defective drive for the new (1TB Maxtor) drive. There are 2 SATA connectors on my cable from the motherboard.

Does this make sense?

Thanks again,
    Tim :rolleyes:

5. MtViewer

MtViewer Thread Starter

May I get a bit more info on what "findings" I should supply from the Maxtor MaxBlast5 software.

Thank you for the suggestion and I'll get right on it!

Tim

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The two connectors on one cable for Sata, this is probably not the data cable but the power cable. It can and often does have more than one connector on it. But the sata data cable will have two ends, one to attach to the moterboard and one to attach to the disk drive. As was stated you can not hook 2 sata drives up to one data cable.

7. MtViewer

MtViewer Thread Starter

I believe that is the case. There is a RED and a BLUE cable from the mother board each running to a separate drive. I guess I was mixing up Power and SATA cables. The SATA cable therefore has the smaller connector on it (seems counter intuitive) and different from what I took from the Dell Manual.

8. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Checking on the dell website was disappointing for me, I was not able to get to look at the manuals with out a service tag number. Reading reviews on this computer though, is it possible that you need to load the Sata Drivers to the hard drive at the time designated in the XP Installation?

10. MtViewer

MtViewer Thread Starter

Here are 2 shots of the "setup" screen (F2 at boot). Hope you can see them! When each is turned "on", BOTH drives are recognized by the system.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drive 0: SATA 0 (Maxtor 1TB) has not been formated, does NOT have XP on it. All that has been done is using the MaxBlast5 CD I got as far as designating it as "Basic" (think I'm correct on term) for just data storage -- not bootable.

Drive 1: SATA 2 (300GB) has a fresh, updated installation of XP.

Problem: IF Drive 0: SATA-0 is set to "on" in "setup" I get a message:
    "MBR Error 1" and the system won't boot. (there shouldn't even BE a Master Boot Record on this drive! Why doesn't it just move on and boot from the Drive 1: SATA 2?

Tim

11. MtViewer

MtViewer Thread Starter

Sorry Daniel but I don't think there is any reference of pics of the "power" cable. I'm pretty sure I'm clear on a SATA cable vs and IDE vs and USB cable ....... tho' I'm wondering if SATA 1 vs SATA 2 might be my problem??

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Go to your boot sequence in bios and see if that drive is listed in the boot sequence. And the MBR error is because there is no MBR for that drive yet. if you want to do a fresh install of windows to the new drive, I would disconnect the old drive to preserve data and files. Install windows. while doing so you said you wanted multiple partitions. Set up your primary partition during installation telling the installer what size partition to make. Then after installing, and installing chipset drivers and updates, you can go to Computer Management - Disk Management and devide up the unallocated space making what ever partitions you desire. Each new partition will be formated when youare creating it. THen when done connect your old drive and as the second sata drive and you cam migrate the files in the manor you desire.

Or you could make a bootable copy of MaxBlast 5, then using Maxblast 5 you can clone the old drive to the new drive. this will leave you with some unallocated space that you can make new partitions with most likely. Be prepared for this option to take 2 or more hours though.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Your motherboard should have Sata 2

14. MtViewer

MtViewer Thread Starter

If it works, here is a link to my User's Manual:
    http://www.badongo.com/file/13389725

15. MtViewer

MtViewer Thread Starter

I really don't want to install XP on "Drive 0: SATA-0". It's already installed on "Drive 1: SATA-2". "Drive 0" is going to be for storage only.

Does it need an MBR regardless? How do I correct this situation without instally SP on both my drives?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/800500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice