1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Drive letter re-assign

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Numbat, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

I have just re-installed Windows (XP). For some inexplicable reason, (the computer has two hard drives) it has re-assigned drive letters. It calls the boot disk drive "E" and the other HD drive "C".

Note that it is booting correctly, which comes as a surprise as I thought it always HAD to boot from drive "C". Looking at the properties shows the boot drive as drive 0 and the other (now called "C") as drive 1.

Can I simply re-assign the drive letters using Disk Manager, or will this cause problems.

2. JeffM

JeffM

This is one of those times when you do what instinct + common sense tells you (and change drive letters) and see what happens.All part of the learning curve, (called in later times , Experience) LOL.

JeffM

P.S. Personally , I'd go for it

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. It will not boot or run if you change the system drive letter (it won't allow it, anyway). It assigned E: to the drive because you had other partitions and a CD-ROM that used the other letters. Other drives are best disconnected before installing to prevent this. You need to wipe the drive and reinstall to get C: as the drive letter.

4. Numbat

Numbat Thread Starter

I tried re-assigning and as you said it won't let me. I think I will leave it as it is. It's not really causing any problems. I will give the drives a name just so I won't accidentally copy to the wrong drive.

I could have sworn I removed all partitions on the main drive when installing. I must be getting tired. I have been trying to get these problems sorted for several days now. Maybe time to put it aside for a while.

Thanks for your help.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, that is the best solution. It takes a while to get used to, but in the long run it makes no difference. There are a few apps, though, that will insist on using C: as your system drive and you may not be able to convince them otherwise. There are surely replacements for those few.

Drive letters are really not much needed any more. Vista has the option to get rid of them altogether and use a name for identification, as you mentioned.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice