1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: drive not initialized...?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by boone217, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boone217

boone217 Thread Starter

I recently had a horrible virus on my computer to the point where I reformatted and reinstalled xp pro. When I did this I re arranged my harddrives (I have 3) so that the C drive was a 10gb just for the os and other important programs. Originally the C drive was about a 40 gb seagate barracuda 7200 but i moved that and made it into a slave. I did not reformat it when I did the switch up so when I reinstalled xp pro the virus was still in the drive. xp installed fine with no noticeable ill effects from the drive with the virus but when I went to reformat the virus drive it popped up an "error failed to reformat. please try again" or something like that right as it finished. Then something came up and ask me to restart so I did and when I got back on the drive was practically nonexistant. No space was read on it and the hardware name in the drive properties was a few letters and some spaces where letters should have been. I figured a wire may have come loose so I turned the computer off and made sure the wires were in. Then when I turned my computer back on the drive wasn't even showing on My Computer, only my C and E drives. I looked in the hardware properties and it showed that it recognized my second drive because it was still there and had the proper name this time. I made sure it was enabled but that did nothing so i went into the disk managment and an Initalize and Convert Disk Wizard popped up for the second drive. I ran the wizard but it did not do what it was supposed to do. The drive was still unallocated and not initalized. I tried to initialize it myself but it doesnt want to initialize (right click the drive click initialize disk). I also made sure the drivers were up to date and they are. Im thinking that its not initalizing because it is not partioned/formatted. I could be corrected on that but if I am right, how would I format it or partition it because I dont know how to access it to do that. I'd normally just right click the drive in My Computer and reformat it there. Ill include a picture of the dick management with the problem disk.

Attached Files:

2. boone217

boone217 Thread Starter

nevermind. the problem has been "solved". as in my computer has died. Im guessing it was a problem on the motherboard because my computer no longer recognizes any of my drives. Not even the cd or dvd drives. Since this problem is way out of my league I will be buying a new computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/815330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice