1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Drive sharing between Vista and Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Networking' started by adanedhel728, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. adanedhel728

adanedhel728 Thread Starter

Ok, I'm trying to make this make as much sense as possible, but sometimes it seems like a Whose-On-First type of thing.

I'm trying to share my Vista harddrives so that I can share files between it and my Ubuntu computer. I have it set to full access so that it should give full permission with a password, but usually my Ubuntu computer doesn't recognize my Vista drives at all. Sometimes it'll work, and I have moved files back and forth before, but usually when I click on my Vista computer in the Network window in Ubuntu, the drives don't even show up.

I can ping the computer through a terminal and it responds (though sometimes not perfectly), but I just can't see the drives. I can't figure out if there's anything I'm doing that prompts it to work correctly the few times that it does. I also can't figure out if the problem is Vista or Ubuntu (or both).

Is there any way to be more consistent in drive sharing?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sharing a drive in Vista is sometimes difficult and frustrating, but it should be consistent.

When you ping the Vista is it by IP address or Computer Name? If ping by name doesn't work it may be a problem with names not working some of the time.

3. adanedhel728

I've been doing it by IP address. I actually didn't know you could do it by computer name.

I'm actually now thinking that the problem seems to be more likely to be in Ubuntu, but I'm still not certain, and if it is, I still would have no idea how to fix it.

4. adanedhel728

Well, now I'm fairly certain that the problem is NOT Ubuntu, like I thought before. When I boot the Windows machine into XP, the Ubuntu machine connects without any problem. Furthermore, another XP machine on the network also can't access the internal drive when it's in Vista. I've tried connecting directly by the IP address in the file browser, but it still does the same thing.

If anybody knows how to fix it, it would be greatly appreciated because I'm getting pretty desperate and I really need to get this working.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, the issue may well be SAMBA's compatibility with Vista.

What is the version of Ubuntu and the version of SAMBA running on it?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you want my guess I'd say a non-Windows firewall (security suite) on the Vista.

Have you tried ping by name from the Ubuntu and the XP to the Vista yet?

7. adanedhel728

Well, I think I found the problem... and it turns out to be a PEBKAC issue... I figured it out thanks to you, Terry, noting that it could be a name issue. I had stupidly given both of the computers the same name without realizing that that could cause a network conflict. :p It was working in XP because XP had a different name. If the problem comes back I'll post again, but I'm pretty sure that's probably fixed it.

Good thing I don't do this for a living, lol. :D

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Same name is definitely a problem. With 2 Windows machines you'd get a "duplicate name" error; there must be less communication between Ubuntu and Windows since you got no such error message. Glad you found it. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice