1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Drive space question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bruinator, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bruinator

bruinator Banned Thread Starter

I have set up my dual boot system of windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server. I have ran in a bit of a problem though. I need to take 1 gig of space from my 2000 server and give it to my 2003 server. How do I go about doing this, please?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Are they on the same drive? You can resize the partitions. Try Free Paragon Hard Drive Manager 8.0 Special Edition or another partitioner. Install Paragon, create the recovery media, boot from it, and realign your partitions from there.

Partitioning Tools-->

Free:

CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    SystemRescueCD
    Gparted LiveCD
    Parted Magic
    Vista Recovery Disk (Shrink, expand, create, delete partitions)
    Free Paragon Hard Drive Manager 8.0 Special Edition
    XP Recovery Console CD image (Create and delete partitions with diskpart.exe)
    Partition Logic
    Ranish Partition Manager
    Cute Partition Manager

Shareware:

Paragon Partition Manager
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager
    Terabyte BootIt NG
    Acronis Disk Director
    V-Com (Avanquest) Partition Commander
    EASEUS Partition Manager
    7Tools Partition Manager
    Spotmau Partition Genius

3. bruinator

How do this work? Do I install it on one of the systems, then burn it to cd-r, boot to the cd and then adjust the partitions from the GUI?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

How are your partitions set uP and where on the drive is each of them?

You should be able to install Paragon into either Windows version. It's possible that you can change the unused partition from Windows, but any overlap of the installations, such as the MBR for one being in the other partition, will block your ability to do that. So you will need to install it and create the recovery CD so that you can do the partitioning with Windows not running. You can try running it from Windows--it will tell you if an operation cannot be completed.

5. bruinator

Does Paragon create the recovery cd? If so, I assume I will use it to boot to the cd (recovery disk) so windows won't be involved and then use the gui to adjust the partitions. Is this correct?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes. You'll find the option when you run Paragon. It will burn the CD for you and you just boot from it.

7. bruinator

I thought it was free to try, It is looking for a product key which I do not have????

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

The link for the key is right on the download page. It will be emailed to you instantly. It's not just free to try---it's free, period.

9. bruinator

Stupid question time, do I have to download this software on one of the OS's I plan on adjusting the drive space on? Because right now, I d/l and installed it on a computer I don't want to do anything on. If that is ok, how do I create the recovery cd to use, please?

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

If it runs on that machine, it's fine. Start the program and you will see the media builder in one of the left column's menus.

You can also burn the image, if you prefer, located at C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\Hard Disk Manager 8 Special Edition\ISO.

11. bruinator

Do you mean recovery media builder? If so, then what do I do , please?

or

If I use the burn option, do I burn the bootcd.iso? If this is all I have to do for this option I prefer to do it that way. After burning the bootcd.iso, then what do I need to do, please?

12. techdawg667

techdawg667

you need to
    1. Go to your BIOS settings to make it boot from the CD drive (your burned CD should be in there before you restart the computer and update the BIOS settings)
    2. Then just realign the partitions using Paragon! :D

13. bruinator

but do I burn the bootcd.iso?

14. techdawg667

techdawg667

15. bruinator

Can someone please tell me the correct file I need to burn using the software?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice