1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Drive space...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Coolyou, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Coolyou

Coolyou Banned Thread Starter

I've noticed my drive is missing over 10GB of drive space. The root directory, if I select the properties of all the directories/files they add up to 40.8GB.

I have 63.4GB of Total drive space, of which 40.8 is being used, Windows states there is 13.4GB free... so where is this other 10GB?

[​IMG]

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    It could be the "Slack" that you are not seeing. Each file will use as many blocks as needed, but sometimes a full block is not used. This is or was at one time referred to as slack.
    Also each folder name requires some space which you have NOT accounted for. That includes each sub-folder.

3. Coolyou

I highly doubt 10GB is slack space... NTFS / 64k chunk per sector. I could see around 500mb of slack space for 40GB of data on the drive.

This isn't Fat16 ;)

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I do NOT see any size listed for the "System Information". It is where the "System Restore" points are saved. How much disk space have you set aside for this?

5. Coolyou

Good point... thought I had completely disabled System Restore, but since my array was listed at the bottom of the list (i've got 6 other drives in this system) it wasn't disabled.

Resolved the missing free space :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice