1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: driver install issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apr911, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apr911

apr911 Thread Starter

Similar in that I can come up with any viable explanation for it, I have a new issue to add to my on going memory usage issue....

I have been trying to update drivers for various things installed in my computer. The problem occurs with drivers that dont have installer programs and relies on windows driver installer. When I attempt to install a driver, everything runs normally through the windows driver installer, it finds the files and starts to copy the drivers. The problem occurs towards the very end... When the driver installer reaches the last file in the driver package, the installer hangs.... and hangs.... and hangs.... basically it just sits there and does nothing all the while claiming to be copying "blah" file to "blah" windows driver folder.

The installer never completes. At first i thought maybe it was the driver so i re-downloaded it, that didnt work, so then i thought it was something fundamentally corrupt with the driver package so i used one of my drivers with it own update utility, bypassed its update utility and ran the update via windows installer... That didnt work...

So now I am at a loss, I have at least 1 device that needs to be installed and a half dozen that I want to update but they can only be installed via the windows driver installer.

If i kill the driver installer and i go to my hardware manager it shows the device as installed and the driver tab shows the correct updated driver however the comments section of the general tab states that no driver has been installed for this device and when i reboot my computer, windows plug-n-play picks up the devices as not installed and tries to run the installer.

Any ideas why I can seem to get these driver to install properly??? Help is greatly appreciated...

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

3. apr911

apr911 Thread Starter

Installed Windows installer over existing version. rebooted. attempted driver update: Same issue

Uninstalled existing version of windows installer. rebooted. installed fresh version of windows installer. rebooted. attempted driver update:

1st attempt: Hung for a short while on last file, then went to finish screen where it said update failed because: Access Denied

2nd & all subsequent attempts: Hung returned to previous behavior of hanging on last file.

I am logged into the only account available in normal mode for windows and it is set as an administrator user. So I dont know why i got the access denied... but the problem resurfaced on all subsequent attempts so either something is wrong with my permissions somewhere or the access denied was just a fluke or the program crashed out and gave access denied as the reason.

Still Need Help... Anyone?

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Have you tried installing from safe mode?

Have you tried stripping hardware leaving operating drive,graphics card and one monitor connected?

5. apr911

apr911 Thread Starter

Ive decided just to reimage the drive... Its long over due anyway, last time I re-imaged was back in april 06...

Thanks for the help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542009

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice