1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Driver Issues

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Kreiscjal, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kreiscjal

Kreiscjal Thread Starter

Hi, I'm totally new and this is most likely in the completely wrong place but hey ho! I'm sorry!

Basically, I'm running 32bit Vista as my primary OS, just bought a new gaming computer because I was on a low budget.
    The one I found came with a built-in Radeon HD 8570D graphics card.

Now, my problem lies with the fact that when I first turned it on, I noticed my windows performance index gave my graphics a rating of 1.0/5.9 and I was very confused. But using the little knowledge of computers that I've acquired, I assumed it was because my graphics driver may have been out of date. After checking the version, its definitely out of date and I've been trying to update the drivers for literally the past 2 days. I cannot find the correct driver anywhere, I've used the AMD driver detector and even searched manually to no avail. The only thing I was pointed towards for Vista was Catalyst 13.2 which I downloaded, let it make a new ATI Technologies folder like it requested, but after fully installing, there was no graphics driver update there.

No idea if the following is relevant but I've also gone through device manager, and under 'Display Adapters' it says 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' with an exclamation point next to it. I've tried updating that but it doesn't do anything and seems to say that its already updated (which I struggle to believe). Also under 'Processors' it says 'AMD A8-6600K APU With Radeon HD Graphics' 4 times. I'm guessing that means my actual 8570D graphics are built in to the processor? Anyway, I've tried updating the processor but it seems to think that is also up to date.

So I'm literally stuck twiddling my fingers and have absolutely NO CLUE as to what i'm supposed to do to get my graphics to start working. At the minute I can't even run chess (this is no joke).

I probably sound really dumb, but I'm new to the PC scene, and know very little. Anyway, if somebody could point me into the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it, thank you!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If it's a known factory-brand computer, advise what brand name and model name and model number it is.

If it's a custom/home-made computer, advise what brand name and model number its motherboard is.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also do the following in it:

Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) to the desktop.

After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.

Information about your computer will appear.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

3. Kreiscjal

Kreiscjal Thread Starter

Okay, its a custom-built one i bought online, I don't know if its okay to advertise company name I bought it from so I won't, but the information I have available to me on the Motherboard box is:
    GIGABYTE F2A58M-HD2
    Model Name: GA-F2A58M-HD2
    AMD A58/rev .3.0
    FM2+/PCI-Ex16/Micro ATX
    2 DDR3 2-CH/HD Audio
    GbE LAN/4 SATA 3Gb/s/8 USB 2.0

And the Sysinfo.exe information:
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, x64 Family 21 Model 19 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 2265 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 3 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 925318 MB; E: Total - 476906 MB, Free - 219580 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., F2A58M-HD2

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the Gigabyte GA-F2A58M-HD2 (revision 3.0) motherboard.

It has an AMD A58 chipset and AMD graphics that's integrated into its AMD processor and uses up to 2 GB of shared memory.

It has 2 memory slots that support up to 64 GB(32 GB X 2) of DDR3 RAM.

Its drivers list has full support only for Windows 7 and Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 32-bit and 64-bit, but not for Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why is your computer running Windows Vista 32-bit?

How much RAM does it actually have?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. Kreiscjal

Kreiscjal Thread Starter

Because I ordered this computer without an OS thinking I could use my Vista key since it was unused and still had it available. Actual ram is 8gb.

So basically my issue is that I need to change to Windows 7? Don't know if I have the money for W7OS :S

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Your computer has 2 problems:

It's running Windows Vista 32-bit with 8 GB of RAM, so only 3.25 - 3.5 GB of that 8 GB of RAM is being used.

The log shows only 2.21 GB of RAM because a large amount of the usable 3.25 - 3.5 of RAM is being used by the AMD integrated graphics device.

The AMD graphics device appears to be using the default Windows driver, so it's running in VGA mode.

That's why its performance rating is so low.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you really need to do is to switch to Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit.

Besides your computer then making use of all of its 8 GB of RAM, its graphics device will work properly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. Kreiscjal

Kreiscjal Thread Starter

Okay so even though I will have to pay £70+ for windows 7, I am now aware of the problem and therefore I'll happily go ahead and do that as soon as possible. If i have any problems in the future with W7 and my drivers its good to know there are some very knowledgeable people at techguy :D

Thanks for your help, I'll now mark this solved :)

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck. :) (y)

Make sure to get Windows 7 64-bit and NOT Windows 7 32-bit.

------------------------------------------------------------

9. Kreiscjal

Kreiscjal Thread Starter

Okay so I know I've already marked this as solved, but just letting you know that I've purchased Windows 7 (64 bit) and am now running it. I backed up all my data so I only lost a few things, but that's not really important because it was a new computer and therefore I didn't have much anyway.

Just to let you know that thanks to your help my drivers are now updated and this problem has been solved completely :D
    I can now play all my favorite Steam games that I've bought over the past year or so.

So thanks Frank! If I have any more issues in the future I'd love it if you'd be able to help me! :)

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm glad to hear that everything came together for you and that your computer is running better and there are no driver issues. (y)

You're welcome. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice